Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Did Protestants attend the Church of England?

Or another church?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The Church of England is protestant. However, from a very early point in the Reformation there were fierce conflicts over just how far-reaching its reformation was going to be. Henry VIII wanted a church that was under himself rather than the pope and did away with monasteries, but otherwise largely keeping medieval traditions intact, such as the theology, form of worship and governance by an episcopalian hierarchy. However, breaking with Rome alienated conservative church leadership and forced Henry to rely on more radical protestants with more Lutheran or Calvinist influence.

With the Elizabethan Settlement of 1558, a compromise position was adopted that left the episcopalian hierarchy intact and adopted a confession, the 39 articles, that were phrased generally enough to admit both conservative and radical interpretations. However, some felt that the compromise was inadequate and pushed for further, Calvinist-style reform; these became the Puritans of the early seventeenth century and eventually the nonconformists of the later seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, people like John Bunyan, who wrote Pilgrim's Progress. Nonconformists either abandoned Church of England services or maintained (generally illegal) "conventicles" of their own parallel to the official church.

• 1 decade ago

???

Uh, you do know that the Church of England IS Protestant, yes? :)

Originally, the Church of England was Catholic. But, when the Holy Father refused to give the King of England a divorce, so he could try to have a male child by another woman, he got upset and decided to make his own Church, which was not Catholic, but (Heaven Forbid) Protestant. Thus, the Protestant Church of England, or Anglicans, was formed. This was nice for Scotland, who had already been excommunicated years before. There was some hostility between England and Rome, but they seem to have settled that not too long after.

In the atheist US, the Church of England suffered yet another split, from Anglican to Episcopal. As I understand it, this split was about 'female' priests, both those who are born female, and the males who are gay, which seems to be the same issue to me, but they make it complicated.

Since my last contact with the Episcopal Church, I have come to the conclusion that they have been totally corrupted today, and have nothing left of the Catholic Faith. The main reason here is that the local congregation (where I was), is now run by a lawyer, not a priest, who blackmails the congregation into paying or face a court of law for this 'crime.' This is the type of scum that they wanted to preach to the people? I wonder if they know that there isn't ONE attorney that has made it past the Heavenly Gates in the last 200 years? When you compare an attorney to a homosexual, the gay wins hands down. Even if he does sodomize you, you have warning. Most lawyers do it to you and charge you for it. (Not that gays are bad, but that they admit to homosexual relations, where a lawyer gets you and doesn't let you know it).

• paul s
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The Church of England is a Protestant church, the Church of England practise a form of Protestantism called 'Anglicanism'

• John
    Lv 6
    7 years ago

There are protestants who will argue over every dot and dash of a prayer book and go into fits over seeing a crucifix. Some Anglican Clergy also find Calvanism more objectionable than catholicism, they see Calvin as a heretic. So no, most protestants would probably be at home in a Baptist or Presbetarian church. If they are 'happy clappy' Born again people they can join a Pentecostal church and have a good cry and shout and scream and stamp their feet. And if they are completely way out they join the Jehovah Witness Cult.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

another one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.