Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Someone help- What was the politics like in 1930'S america?

this would be a great help if you could give me some useful links on the internet as i cannot find anything on this subject or if you could give me a lil bit of information

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I think if you start searching under the people and topics of the decade you will find that there is an overwhelming range of materials, because this was the decade in which modern America was formed. Consider a time-line:

1928: Herbert Hoover wins election to the Presidency in an overwhelming landslide over New York governor Al Smith.

fall, 1929: the Stock Market crashes. The fall is so fast that ticker tape services run hours behind, unable to keep pace. Investors who bought on credit expecting markets to rise are wiped out. Companies fail. Banks that had invested in the market close. Stop-gap measures and reassurances cannot stem the collapse.

1930: Runaway unemployment sweeps the nation. Droves of young men take to the roads, hitch-hiking or riding the rails, searching for survival, forced to leave home because there was not enough food. They add a new word to the American vocabulary: hobo.

1931: Camps housing thousands of displaced American spring up around every city of any substantial size, dubbed "Hoovervilles" by people who now blame the President for their misery. Unemployed men turn their pockets out, "Hoover flags," to show their abject poverty. Americans die of starvation. President Hoover says protests threaten national order.

1932: In a wild electoral battle, the Democratic Party has its convention in Chicago. To win the nomination, a candidate must have the votes of two-thirds of the delegates. Franklin D. Roosevelt manages a majority on the opening ballot, but then the convention stalls. Several other politicians grapple for the nomination, but observers counsel the obvious: Roosevelt has the best chance of beating Hoover. The opposition breaks; Roosevelt is nominated. In a bold move, the nominee flies from Albany, New York to accept nomination at the convention. In his acceptance speech, he promises "A new deal for the American People." News reporters adopt the phrase: New Deal.

November 1932: Roosevelt trounces Hoover in the greatest turnaround in American political history.

March 1933: In his inaugural address, Roosevelt declares, "let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." For the next hundred days, Roosevelt proposes the most sweeping range of new legislation ever sought by a President, and reshapes the government.

1933-1936: Roosevelt continues to struggle against the Depression, rousing every greater opposition from arch-conservatives who organize the American Liberty League to attack his programs. Meanwhile, unions organize by using a new tactic. Instead of "walking off the job," auto workers in Detroit sit down on the job, forcing the auto makers to confront a dilemma: to remove the strikers who are conducting these "sit-down strikes," the bosses must risk destroying their own assembly lines.

1936-1937: Roosevelt is reelected in the greatest electoral landslide ever, losing only Maine and Vermont. He wastes the victory on the ill-fated Court Packing Plan.

1938-1939: Fear of war looms as Japan and Germany become increasingly militant. In America, isolationists work to prevent any involvement with these conflicts. Roosevelt grows increasingly concerned about threats to western civilization.

1939: War breaks out in Europe.

1940: France collapses to a Nazi invasion. England battles on alone. Winston Churchill becomes Prime Minister amid a country torn between resistance and capitulation. Before the House of Commons on June 10, Churchill gives one of his great speeches: "We shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender."

From America, Roosevelt finds ways to bolster the British, through programs such as "Lend-Lease" which provides England with destroyers, out of date ships, but ships critical to the survival of England. Roosevelt also decides that he must soon draw the line against Japan. He begins to restrict exports to Japan that are critical to the Empire's war efforts. The Japanese begin plans for a retaliatory strike to punish the Americans for their impudence -- the raid on Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941.

November 1940: Roosevelt easily wins a third term, something never before done. From Montana, a woman named Jeanette Rankin wins election to the U.S. House of Representatives. It is her second time in Congress. Elected in 1916, she roused nearly hysterical rage in April 1917 when she voted against the Declaration of War that took the United States into World War I. On December 8, 1941, the fury her 1917 vote roused will seem as nothing.

• Ryan
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

I don't know any links off the top of my head, but I can tell you that the politics of the 1930's were solidly Democrat. from 1929 onward the Democrats commanded the government without any real resistance, for two reasons. 1: The Republicans had been voted out of office in the extreme. 2: The Republicans had no idea how to correct the Depression and they knew it. They never thought that the Depression was something that could occur from their economic policies and they were realizing that they had to come up with a whole new economic policy, so for a while the Republicans just voted along with what the Democrats wanted because they didn't know what to do.

The only time that the Democratic majority met any resistance was when FDR proposed a court stacking plan to the Supreme Court. This resistance would prove unnecessary as one of the Justices that FDR didn't like left the court anyway.

Summary:

Democrat, united, major social progress and recovery efforts.

• 3 years ago

I\ m not sure but ,if anyone else wants to uncover writing best man speeches try Imforda Best Template Guide (just google it ) ? Ive heard some super things about it and my friend got excellent results with it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.