Question for Orthodox Jews?

According to your teachings, how does a man get salvation? Is it by a life of good works? Is it by a life of faith? Is it by the keeping of The Law? I have always wondered what your teaching is on this matter.

Thank you, and be blessed.

Update:

I realize Israel (nationally) and the Jewish people (corporately) are the son of G-d (Jeremiah 31:9). However, I am not referring to national or corporate salvation. I am referring to individual salvation from the penalty of sin.

For example, according to Jewish teaching, what was the fate of Korah (Numbers 26) when he died? What of King Ahab? Neither of these men seemed particularly careful to keep the Law or to repent of their wickedness.

So what I'm asking is, according to Jewish teaching, what about every individual? How do they escape hell?

Please don't take my asking these questions as being rude or anti-Semitic. I absolutely love the Jewish people and am extremely grateful for them and the Scriptures the Almighty brought to the world through them. I have honestly just wondered for years, what is the Jewish position on personal salvation?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In Judaism, salvation is really a goal that is ultimately to be realized in this world rather than in a heavenly realm. Our prayers and teachings do speak of the aspiration that all peoples will come to recognize Judaism and our God as the one true God and religion. To some degree that's been achieved through the success of Christianity and Islam, religions built on the basic foundations of Judaism. Nevertheless, it is our hope and belief that one person at a time, all will come to realize that Judaism is the best and most direct path to relationship with God and the establishment of heaven on earth. Rabbi Ari Vernon http://www.jewishinstlouis.org/page.html?ArticleID...

Some Christian commentators explain, "he [Jesus] went and made proclamation to the spirits now in prison" (1 Peter 3:19) as meaning that Jesus, between his death and supposed resurrection, descended into Hell and offered to those who lived before Noah (verse 20) a second chance for salvation. But, this is a doctrine that is without even New Testament support. The eternal damnation of billions of men, women, and children who whether living before or after Jesus never heard of the claim that there is no forgiveness of sin outside of belief in Jesus is the summation of the Christian doctrines of original sin. Is this the Christian understanding of a just and righteous God who is also compassionate?

Jews do not believe in the doctrine of original sin. This is a Christian belief based on Paul's statement, "Therefore just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned" (Romans 5:12). The doctrine was fully developed by the church father, Augustine of Hippo (354-430).

According to this doctrine, hereditary sinfulness is inescapably transmitted to human beings by their parents, starting with Adam and Eve. It is alleged that only acceptance of Jesus as savior from sin can redeem a person from sin. All those who do not accept Jesus as their savior from sin are condemned to eternal suffering in hell.

Whether man is a sinner by nature or not is immaterial. Judaism teaches the biblical way to repentance and reconciliation with God. Sincere repentance in which the sinner pledges to rectify his sinful ways and lead a righteous life is one means that is open at all times to all of humanity (Jonah 3:5-10, Daniel 4:27). God counsels Cain, "Why are you annoyed, and why has your countenance fallen? If you do good [that is, change your ways], will it not be lifted up [that is, you will be forgiven]. But if you do not do good, sin rests at the door; and it desires you, but you may rule over it" (Genesis 4:6-7). God informs Cain that repentance and subsequent forgiveness are always open to him. The remedy for sin is clear. Biblically, God's loving-kindness depends on right conduct and extends to all humanity.

http://www.jewsforjudaism.org/faq-primary-211/orig...

• Mathew
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

First, you need to define salvation. In the Jewish Bible, salvation is described as rescue from some tragedy, usually a national or regional tragedy, such as war, famine, plague or flood. Salvation in Judaism is NOT a get out of Hell FREE card or a way to escape the consequences of sins committed.

The way to escape the consequences of sin is to repent of your sins, make restitution to those you have injured by your sins, and dedicate yourself to avoiding repeating those sins ever again. This is explained (among other places), in Ezekiel chapter 18.

Better yet would be not committing the sin in the first place.

However, men have free will, and are human and so will make mistakes, so we will on occasion fall short of our goals. When this happens, we simply repent, pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and start over.

And over again, if we once again fall short.

Proverbs 24:16 says, "For a righteous man can fall seven times and rise, but the wicked shall stumble upon evil."

This verse says that a man can fall flat on his face seven times, or more even, and still merit the title of a righteous man, if he will but stand up and try yet again to do that which is lawful and right.

But, if you MEANT salvation as the Jews define it, then the Jewish people or the State/nation of Israel could receive salvation rom some national calamity by fasting and praying to God for deliverance. This would be something we Gentiles could learn from, as well, since it worked for Nineveh during the days of Jonah. Jonah had been sent by God to that Gentile city to warn them that their sins were so great that God was about to send destruction upon them. The people of Nineveh heeded Jonah's warning, fasted and prayed, and their sins were forgiven and they were delivered from the calamity God had promised them; that is to say, they had received salvation.

• 3 years ago

Their practices are extra consistent with what all Jews practiced earlier to the splitting off of Reform Judaism throughout the early 1800's. Early Reformers converted the best way they worshipped.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.