promotion image of download ymail app

When do loans ( FHA and Conventional) require mortgage insurance?

I heard that all loans now require mortgage insurance. Which ones require and which ones do not? Please reply asap as I am trying to apply for a loan with a broker.

3 Answers

  • glenn
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    VA does not- but does require a "funding fee" which may serve the same purpose. FHA charges a large one and since the loan is usually pretty high risk they need that insurance. Conventional conforming requires one on almost all loans that have less than 20% down. Non conforming loans have a whole set of their own rules.

    The costs will be there one way or another unless you are putting a substantial amount down.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    FHA required upfront MIP no matter what, and monthly if over 15 year term. Conventional does not require if you are under 80% LTV.

    Source(s): 25 years mortgage lender.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

    Usually if you have 80% or less Loan to Value (loan is 80% or less of the appraised value) you do not need PMI.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.