Driad asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

What are some yoga sequences other than the sun salutation?

I want to lose fat mass, tone and tighten up, sharpen my mind, become more limber/flexible, and be more focused

I am a complete 15yr. Old beginner

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Beyond Sun Salutation and Pattabhi Jois' Astanga Vinyasa style, there are few set sequences that have been given "official" names.

Power yoga is based on Astanga Vinyasa, but the sequence of poses can be just about anything a given teacher or individual chooses to string together.

A few well known power yoga instructors are Baron Baptiste, Beryl Bender Birch, Bryan Kest. There are many others.

Some books on yoga asana (poses) have suggested sequences.

One I like is "Yoga: the Iyengar Way."

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Iyengar-Way-Silva-Mehta...

There are many books in styles other than Iyengar.

However, you mentioned wanting to lose fat.

A style like Iyengar is generally (stress on generally) not vigorous enough to promote significant weight loss.

Thus, you would probably want some style of power yoga.

Qualities such as a sharp mind and focus are less dependent on WHAT you do, and more dependent on the mental quality you maintain/bring as you are do it (other words, HOW you think when doing it).

Example, two people doing Sun Salutations.

One is doing the mental work to keep mind continually on what they are doing, nothing else ("mindfulness").

The other is going through the poses but allows mind to wander into thinking about what they did yesterday, their plans for later today, etc (no focus).

Namaste',

dwb

• 9 years ago

Well, , I know the feeling. Five years ago I was fifty pounds overweight and rising, huffing and puffing every time I had to walk up stairs. I then went to my doctor and had a blood pressure reading of 160/110 - not good at all. I immediately went on a diet and lost thirty pounds in two months, and I felt much better. There are many ways to lose weight; I got some ideas from the source below; what I did was follow a loose template for the South Beach diet but there are many ways to do it. Stick with it and you'll see results!

• 3 years ago

Put a two litre water bottle and also a glass on your desk each morning. Get through it by means of lunch, and do the same from the afternoon. You’ll exercise better as well as recover faster if you’re hydrated. I drink some water when someone asks me a foolish question or sends a dumb email... find something that works in your case!

• 4 years ago

Find an alternative stress-reliever. When you’ve had an unsatisfactory day, don’t reach for the doughnuts – look for a new coping mechanism that works available for you, not against you. Listening on your favourite album, looking at household pics on Facebook, or just getting away from home for a walk will provide help to focus on the positives.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Be blue! Weirdly, azure shades have been proven to possess a positive effect on your will to exercise regularly and avoid bad foods. So, wear blue, eat from blue plates and watch the pounds drop off!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Be blue! Weirdly, azure shades have been proven to experience a positive effect on your may to exercise regularly and avoid bad foods. So, wear glowing blue, eat from blue plates and watch the pounds drop off!

• 4 years ago

Swap a bowl of pasta for any bowl of vegetables. You can preserve to 200 calories by chopping the starch and adding veggies.

• 3 years ago

Buy the appropriate size. Squeezing into those skinny jeans is only going to make your muffin top far more noticable.

• 3 years ago

It’s not really weight-loss, it’s health-gain. Think about your changes in order to gain things, not lose these people.

• 4 years ago

Go shopping! Make a promise to yourself that whenever you reach your desired weight and also dress size, you’ll reward yourself with that fabulous frock you’ve been eyeing upwards. It’s amazing how tangible goals can get your motivational juices flowing.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.