? asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

Where should I store my internet passwords?

Since the 90’s I used .txt file on my desktop thinking nobody would think of searching text vs. word or excel document. Now I think it’s naïve. I have work and home versions so it gets confusing at times. Should I put on cloud computing (server?) I don’t write the password in its entirety. I tried Passpack but it does not seem to gel from the work computer. Thanks.

For the answer I got "your head":

I counted the number of sites: just over 110. How many do most people have?!

Most use similar passwords but there are many exceptions so remembering is not an option except for popular ones (banks, email, social sites, etc)

Favorite Answer

I use Roboform Pro, yes you have to pay. It will automatically log you into your sites, it generates passwords, you can have a different password for every site, yet one master password, which will unlock the encrypted ones. Try the free version for up to 10 passwords

What I use is a simple text file encrypt program called Locknote and keep it on a USB drive. There are other similar utilities though - http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/security/fwencry...

Remember to make a copy of that file somewhere. I thought I was going to have a heart attack when I once lost a USB drive with a bunch of encrypted server passwords on it. Luckily I had a copy on another computer and later found the drive had fallen out of my pocket into the seat belt receptacle in my car.

Where you keep the password to the password protected passwords is another matter!

• Erika

Yeah keylogger yet he could have had to place in that in the past you entered your password. additionally some browsers shop your login names and password immediately. you could the two view all of them interior the kit or they only pop in once you form the consumer call.

Hi.If you want you could write down your passwords on a piece of binder paper or white paper.Just have it in a safe place in your home.

• Joe

Your head.