Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 10 years ago

What does "Dog Days" mean ?

I know it maybe so late, as the song "Dog Days are over" was originally released 2 years before... but I listened to it on Glee, and Loved its both versions... but can't get a satisfying meaning for the expression "Dog Days", some people mentioned its madness, and others said something else... any help ?!

• S.K.
    Favorite Answer

The "dog days" of July and August, generally the hottest of the year, coincide with the appearance of the constellation Sirius, the Dog Star, in the same part of the sky as the sun. The Romans believed Sirius added to the heat of the sun, causing the temperature extreme, and gave this part of the year its name--in Latin, of course.

• meador

Dog Days Meaning

Many people love the idea of owning a dog but one thing that they have to keep in mind often times, is that the dog needs to be trained. While the pet may look heart-breakingly cute when it's in a shelter or at the pound, picking out the dog is only the first part of the relationship between dog owner and the animal. Many people don't understand that they have to put time and effort into socializing the dog.

An unsocialized dog will intimidate others, tear up the home, and will create an environment that can become so bad that the it will have to be returned. Many times when dogs have to be returned to shelters or to other resources, it will end up euthanized, which is very heartbreaking. All of this can be spared if a person learns the various techniques in order to socialize the dog.

One thing that they have to understand is that the he wants to be told what to do. It's in the canine nature to follow a leader. The dog will be more than willing to obey the leadership of its master. Here's a look at some common techniques that are used in dog training:

"Dog Whispering"

This is a technique that has been around for a while, but gained national notoriety over the last 10 years. Some people might hear this term and wonder how in the world whispering to a dog can train it! Whispering isn't meant to be taken literally in this case. As trainers have shown, whispering is a term that refers to connecting with a being or an entity on a very deep and almost spiritual level. When it comes to dog training techniques, dog whispering involves careful observation of the dog's behavior and actions.

It literally entails getting inside the mind and the behavior system of the canine. When a person uses dog whispering techniques, they interact with the dog on the canine level. Again, one the most common mistakes that people make is treating the dog like a small human being.

"Reward Training"

Reward training is very simple and it's one of the older tricks that works. This is a simple method of training the dog by positive reinforcement. Once he does what it is told to do, it receives a treat. How this works is that the dog owner must entice the dog towards the treat. Once the canine develops awareness for the treat, it develops a strong desire for it. When the desire for it is extremely strong, the dog owner pulls back. Then the dog receives a command and when the dog obeys the command, it receives the treat. The object is to make the dog associate a treat with the command.

"Clicker Training"

Other dog training techniques include one that is similar to reward training, which is called clicker training. How this works is that the clicker is incorporated to get the dog's attention. The clicker is clicked as a form of communication with the dog. It learns that there is a command or reward associated in conjunction with the clicker. Many people claim that this is fun, and they actually make a game with the dog by using the clicker for their dog training tasks.

"Ultrasonic Whistle"

Last, a relatively new form of dog training technique is called the ultrasonic whistle. This works because the ultrasonic sound is only heard by the dog. When the owner is trying to communicate a command, or stop the dog from barking, they will blow on their whistle when they want to communicate a command to the dog. The benefit of this is that the humans can't hear this noise, but the dog can hear it, and they will learn to associate the sound with a command.

Dog training techniques aren't hard to incorporate, but they are something that absolutely must be incorporated from the time a dog owner brings their new dog home. No matter how old or how young the dog is, they will need training. Once they are trained properly, they will be a wonderful addition to one's family.

Before You Spend MORE Money On Expensive Dog Trainers or Products,

Watch This Video First!

https://biturl.im/aU5jU

Discover the powerful dog training secrets to eliminate over 30+ common behavioral dog and puppy issues with step-by-step instructions from one of the world's most skilled dog trainers!

Proofing is basically training your dog to obey regardless of what is going on around it. Concrete technique: Once the dog knows what you want from it and recognizes your cue, you start training this is varying environments, ensuring that the dog is performing reliably in one environment before increasing the level of difficulty by training in another environment. The order of environment training could for example be: - in your living room - in your garden - on the street - in the city - in the park - at dog training classes - among playing dogs - on a field filled with small game wildlife etc. The exact order is all about knowing your dog. For some dogs, other dogs will be the highest distraction, for others it's a running hare, cats, people, loud noises, cars and so on and so on. Proofing is also teaching your dog to respond to a cue regardless of your position whether you're standing up, lying down, having your back to it or doing a hand stand. How to train the proofing is another matter. I prefer to increase distraction levels so gradually that I have little problem getting my dog's attention, so that I'm setting her up for a 90% guaranteed success. I will correct, but usually only with a "no". If I cannot get her attention or if I find myself correcting her several times, then I know I've gone forward too fast. Other trainers use more aversion based methods to proof their dog, which I believe in general works faster than the method I'm using, but it's just not a method for me.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does "Dog Days" mean ?

I know it maybe so late, as the song "Dog Days are over" was originally released 2 years before... but I listened to it on Glee, and Loved its both versions... but can't get a satisfying meaning for the expression "Dog Days", some people mentioned its madness, and others...

Source(s): quot dog days quot mean: https://shortly.im/wXPLn
  • bfalls

Minor correction to S.K.'s good answer: Sirius is a star (actually a binary system but the two stars aren't distinguishable without a telescope) not a constellation; it got the "dog star" nickname because it's in the constellation Canis Major (big dog).

• ?

pl.n.

1. The hot, sultry period of summer between early July and early September.

2. A period of stagnation.

im not sure if this is right but i think it means old days like when you was younger and in your prime and young that is what i think it means anyway :)