Craziee Panda asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

What's your favorite baseball quote of all time?

Favorite Answer

"Why does everyone stand up and sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game when they're already there?"

~ Larry Anderson

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."

~ Willie Stargell

"Since baseball time is measured only in outs, all you have to do is succeed utterly; keep hitting, keep the rally alive, and you have defeated time. You remain forever young."

~ Roger Angell

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."

~ Jackie Robinson

"There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare."

~ Tallulah Bankhead

"One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something."

~ Nolan Ryan

"No one can stop a home run. No one can understand what it really is, unless you have felt it in your own hands and body.... As the ball makes its high, long arc beyond the playing field, the diamond and the stands suddenly belong to one man. In that brief, brief time, you are free of all demands an complications."

~ Sadaharu Oh

"'m never satisfied. I can't stand satisifaction. To me, greatness comes from that quest for perfection."

~ Mike Schmidt

"The only way to prove you're a good sport is to lose."

~ Ernie Banks

"You start chasing a ball and your brain immediately commands your body to Run forward! Bend! Scoop up the ball! Peg it to first! Then your body says who me?"

~ Joe DiMaggio

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."

~ Jim Bouton

"I was never nervous when I had the ball, but when I let go I was scared to death."

~ Lefty Gomez

"I don't get upset over things I can't control, because if I can't control them there's no use getting upset. And I don't get upset over the things I can control, because if I can control them there's no use in getting upset."

~ Mickey Rivers

"There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all."

~ Lou Gehrig

"Fans, for the past two weeks you have been reading about the bad break I got. Yet today I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth. I have been in ballparks for seventeen years and have never received anything but kindness and encouragement from you fans."

~ Lou Gehrig

• Karen

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring. ~Rogers Hornsby Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile. ~Tom Clark A ball player's got to be kept hungry to become a big-leaguer. That's why no boy from a rich family ever made the big leagues. ~Joe DiMaggio During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball. ~Mickey Mantle, 1970 It ain't like football. You can't make up no trick plays. ~Yogi Berra

Favorite baseball quotes (all by Vin Scully):

"(Baseball is) theatre, really. The star is the spotlight on the mound, the supporting cast fanned out around him, the mathematical precision of the game moving with the kind of inevitability of Greek tragedy. With the Greek chorus in the bleachers!"

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamp post....For support, not illumination.

"The Dodgers are such a .500 team that if there was a way to split a three-game series, they'd find it."

Favorite general quotes by baseball players:

-Jackie Robinson

"Aint no man that can avoid being born average...but aint no man that got to be common."

-Satchel Paige

It's a gem from Earl Weaver.

Mike Flanagan: "One game I pitched I led off an inning by getting the first batter to hit a ground ball to Cal, and it took a bad hop. The next guy hits an easy fly to Singleton in right, but he loses it in the sun. Now there's two on. Earl comes out, says, 'Don't let them hit it on the ground and don't let them hit it in the air,' turns around and walks back. I get a line-drive double play. As I walk into the dugout, Earl says, 'Am I a ******' genius, or what?' "

Source(s): Peter Richmond's book "Ballpark"

My favorite is a little-known Yogi-ism. I once heard Joe Garagiola tell about an incident that went something like this.

Garagiola is a rookie catcher, and his (and most catchers' of the time) idol, Yogi Berra comes up to bat. Joe G. recognizes that Yogi has his trademark turned out. For you guys who have never used a wooden bat, hitting the ball on the trademark can break the bat. So, Garagiola says, "Excuse me, Mr. Berra, but your trademark is turned out," to which Yogi replies, "Kid, I came up here to hit, not to read."

"I really love baseball. The guys and the game, and I love the challenge of describing things. The only thing I hate — and I know you have to be realistic and pay the bills in this life — is the loneliness on the road."

- VinScully

also

"Dont let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."

-unknown author

Source(s): me! softball player for life

"For lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."

It might have started out in the Bible, but three generations of Tigers fans knew it as the way Ernie Harwell started the broadcast of the first Spring Training game every year.

During late February/early March in Michigan, one might well be waist-deep in snow, but when I heard those words spoken in that soft Georgia accent, I knew that spring had indeed arrived, regardless of what the calendar or the weatherman said.

• Mr.B

Yogi Berra: "It ain't over 'til it's over"

But if I need a laugh, there's always Jerry Coleman: "Winfield goes back to the wall, he hits his head on the wall and it rolls off! It's rolling all the way back to second base. This is a terrible thing for the Padres."

• .

"There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem—once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit." - Al Gallagher

"There was nothing Willie (Mays) could do that I couldn't do and I was a better hitter"

"I always looked for a breaking ball, I never looked for a fast ball cause no pitcher could ever get one by me"

Both quotes by the great Henry Aaron

"I threw the ball fast and hard and couldn't get it by him, you just couldn't get a fast ball by the man as he was too quick"

Quote by Bob Gibson about the great Henry Aaron

"We call him Bad Henry, cause we've looked for a weakness and couldn't find any"

Quote by both Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax about the great Henry Aaron.