smatt454 asked in SportsMartial Arts · 9 years ago

Trying to get into shape, any tips?

So I used to be a wrestler and a runner, but I was never that agile. What I had going for me in the past is strength and stamina.

Now that I'm in college, I havent been working out as much. I lift dumbbells, do pushups, and some kind of cardio (usually jump ropes or sometimes running a couple miles). But stress, work, and school have made me lose motivation. I dont work out as much as I should.

I guess you can say I let myself go. I can barely do 25 pushups, I used to be able to do 100. I'm vegetarian, and I dont get much protein anymore. Mostly ramen and rice. I'm 6'2" and about 270.

What I want is to do martial arts. My main focus is actually my mind, I meditate a lot and I'm in to deep thinking. Martial arts in general I know is good for both, and yoga I hear is especially good for the mind. Idk what other martial arts to do (i was thinking kendo and karate). I dont know what's good for beginners, but I also want something challenging.

But before I sign up for classes, I want to make sure I have enough stamina to get the most out of my workouts.

So does anyone know of anything simple exercises i can do(by simple I mean something I wont need to pay money for equipment or lessons)? I want to eventually get weights and maybe like weights for my feet/waist to wear when I go running. Sometimes I do "air marital arts", or like punches with dumbbells....but I wanted to see if anyone knew any effective workouts that would be easy to pick up, but effective. (idc if it's hard to do the workout, I just dont have the money to spend right now). I want to train my body so I can be ready to make the best out of a class. I also thought about doing wii fit to learn the basics of yoga.

I would also appreciate any advice on classes martial arts or others that I should look into.

Thanks in advanced!

Favorite Answer

Your story is a little long but I hope I can still help you. I'd recommend yoga to get yourself in shape. I was a vegetarian for four years and lost all my strangth. I also recommend taking iron tablets. They will bust your energy up. I'm pregnant and I do yoga and it helps me out a lot. It will make my birthing easier.

Source(s): Good-luck

I can't advise you on karate, only from a Kendo perspective being a Kendoka.

Getting into shape for Kendo is a mix of cardio and muscle toning. Strength isn't actually that important, while muscle tone is relevant for speed. With speed, you can strike just as effectively, and speed also adds to strength.

Your jogging (or cycling or even swimming) will help you get back up to your old stamina, with added weights certainly will help. You need to consider that when you get into Kendo armour eventually, you will be carrying 6+ kg of armour and uniform, so that can be kept in mind when you think about stacking weights. I would advise perhaps getting a weight vest since the bulk of the weight is centralised and not dispersed to wrists and ankles, much healthier for you than injuring wrist and ankles.

For strength and toning, forearm, triceps, pectoralis, gluteal, calves, thighs are key areas to work on. Further more, hand grip strength for the pinky and ring fingers on both hands is critical, so any clenching weights (like the coiled spring tools) are also great for that too. Running will take care of the lover legs, along with calf leg lifts (standing on flat feet, then lifting up to tippytoes slowly, then back down slowly, repeat), squats, jump squats, those kinds of things, along with tricep lifts, pushups and so forth.

In regards to your diet, make sure you do get sufficient iron content (spinach, molassas, iron substitutes) and a lot of protein for when you work out, otherwise you're not going to be able to convert your hard work into bodily results.

Source(s): Kendoka

Well

Yoga can be a great friend in every diet. It's all about hormones balance. There are no "bad" hormones. But when hormones get unbalanced, bad things happen in your body. Your body releases cortisol when you're under stress. It's part of the whole “fight or flight” response. Increased cortisol levels could be making you fat. The kind of fat you are most likely to store from elevated cortisol is called visceral fat — the dangerous belly fat that’s linked to diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol levels.

I'm following this great online program that teaches how to use YOGA to lose weight. You should check it out as well. This is the link of the site: http://yogafitness.toptips.org

Cheers.

K... getting started is not easy. Tips DVDs and YouTube only do so much. You need support. So... find a good martial arts studio that stresses fitness as well as a realistic and universal approach to self defense. I have studied Tsunjo Wing Chun for years which you can find at the Green Lake Martial arts school (Ask for Mark Metrona), this is an adaptation to Bruce Lee's teachings and you'll never be required to kick above your belt you will get in shape fast and learn how to effectively fight in short order. There are some Traditional Wing Chun schools around too. An MMA school such as AMC or Ring Sports would be great, or a BJJ school like Marcelo Alonso is awesome too!! Stay away from Tai Kwan Do, it's inneffective and is not a big mans martial art. Also I've heard great things about Kenpo Karate, and Krav McGaw but know little about them. Also, I am a yoga teacher and experiment at places around town. Yoga is a great way to dynamically work on strength and balance with very little risk of injury, I combine Yoga, QiGong, and secretly work martial arts in when I teach. You can find a good studio with some RYT qualified teachers, they usually sell cards or packages so you don't have to live there, you can say have your MA membership but just go to yoga once a week or whenever you happen to feel like dropping in. Hot Yoga is good, I have fun. Normal Hatha or power yoga will assist you as well.

I don't practice martial arts as much as I used to, but the important thing is that when I practice skills on my own they were shown to me properly. Doing "air martial arts" can cause you to injure yourself (punching into the air requires technique). Due to injuries I have been able to develop more useable strength and maintained muscular mass with a combination of Yoga Qigong and personal practice Wing Chun. I am a firefighter so it's important. Lifting weights frankly is friggin boring!, I'd rather punch someone in the head, meditate, or sweat with sexy women any day!

Last, diet... I am a "part time vegitarian", I still always suppliment with Rice Protein (whey and soy have gluten), and eat a fair amount of Tofu. But... still like a steak and eat fish regularly. My theory is that some people need the creatine found in meats, and takes a while to wean from. Also my wife is Lebanese so Homice is a big and regular part of my diet. Check out an Aryuvedic practitioner, who practices Indian traditional medicine or at least diet, in India many people practice Aryuveda which promotes vegitarianism. Another big thing is get away from Sugar! your body gets glucose and glucogen through a good regular diet go to something like Stevia, and stay away from bleached grain products such as bread, white rice. Read labels and don't buy anything that includes sugar, corn syrup, brown rice syrup, or anything that masks as sugar. Read "Potatoes not Prozac".

So in a few words there you are my friend...

Brian

drifting.sprit@yahoo.com

206 718 9505

Source(s): Trained under Johan Sasynuik at Kung Fu Club of Issaquah Trained RYT 200 Ananda shcool of living Yoga Patient and QiGong teacher at Fern Life Center, Keesha Ewers is the AARNP/Aruvedic practitioner. Referenced Green Lake Martial Arts School, and Marcelo Alonso's BJJ school in Seattle Wa.

Go to youtube and google the tacfit stuff by scott sonnon, it is a program to buy but you can see some of it and pick up some ideas about some workouts. There is no equipment needed. I do Karate and some MMA type ground fighting as well, it is a good combination of stuff.

Martial arts training will help you get in shape. Many people join a martial arts who are not in shape .

I didn't read it all this.Do a lot of runing and exercise your muscles.Do mma or I prefer taekwodo for flexible, kung fu I thing is a good martial art.

• jogging bro.. jog, lift some weights, try and not eat as much.. drink water and a good amount