Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationHobbies & Crafts · 9 years ago

help needed understanding kim hargreaves knitting pattern 'delphine'?

i've just bought some wool to start a new kim hargreaves project, 'delphine', but i've already failed at the first row! hoping someone can help me decipher it. after casting on 157 it reads:

"row 1: p1, (k1, p1) 8 times, (p9, inc once in each of next 7 sts) twice, p9, k1, (p1, k1) 20 times, wrap next st and turn.

the bit i don't get is "(p9, inc once in each of next 7 sts) twice". does this mean:

p9

inc7

p9

inc7

or

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

p1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

inc1

p1

p1

(as in, increase after every one of the first 7 sts in the set of 9 sts, twice)?

either way (or any other way!), when doing these increases they'll be coming out of the cast on row - does anyone know of any guides to doing this?

thanks in advance :)

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

------ (start parentheses)

purl 9

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

Purl 9

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

inc 1

------- (that ends the parentheses which will take you from 32 sts to 46 sts between parentheses)

purl 9

then do k1 p1 ribbing for a total of 41 sts

wrap and turn (you're making short row shaping--demo available at http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/advanced-techni... )

Doing increases on a cast-on row, about your only choice is the kfb (knit front and back) because you can't do a lifted increase or a make 1. It is also known as the bar increase. There's a demo for that at http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/increases , just scroll down to "KFB"

If you haven't already joined ravelry.com, you may want to. It's free and I would be shocked if there aren't several people also working on this pattern and discussing it. There should also be a fan group on Ravelry for the designer where you can seek help. Besides, it's fun.

• 9 years ago

Purl 9 stitches

Then in each of the next 7 stitches you work an increase by knitting into the front and the back of the stitch.

This means that instead of having 7 stitches after the 9 purled sts you have 14 sts.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.