Help with Christian Verse.?

My boyfriend is a Christian, and I would like to delve into this religion further. I read that this verse is essential to all Christians. Upon reading it, I had a few questions on understanding what it meant, and I was hoping a devoted Christian could answer it for me? I am not looking to insult a religion, or to... show more My boyfriend is a Christian, and I would like to delve into this religion further. I read that this verse is essential to all Christians. Upon reading it, I had a few questions on understanding what it meant, and I was hoping a devoted Christian could answer it for me? I am not looking to insult a religion, or to go against my boyfriend. I love him, and I want to understand his beliefs, and how it correlates with the rest of the Christians in the World. The verse is:

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. (John, 3:16)

The beginning of the Nicene Creed corresponds to this as:

"I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only-begotten Son of God, begotten of the Father before all worlds; God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God; begotten, not made, being of one substance with the Father, by whom all things were made."

1. What does the word 'begotten' mean? I think I know, but please explain it to me.
2. Why does it read, 'begotten, NOT MADE'? The end of the verse says, 'by the Father, by whom ALL things were made.
3. It says 'being one of substance with the father'. Does that mean Jesus is God himself? (If the answer to this is 'Yes', then how is also He God's son?

I'm just a little confused, please serious answers only. Thanks.