To what extent do you agree with the following Noam Chomsky quote?

"The whole educational and professional training system is a very elaborate filter, which just weeds out people who are too independent, and who think for themselves, and who don't know how to be submissive, and so on - because they're dysfunctional to the institutions." - Dr. Noam Chomsky

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

It sounds conspiratorial, though it is accurate. That is how these systems are. We have to follow authority of others, often times, especially in work, of those that are incredibly unable to do THEIR jobs, though they have no trouble bossing others around.

Businesses want to have slaves for workers with little or no pay and benefits because all the owners want is more money for themselves. If you won't just say yes sir, yes mam and do you work no matter how unjust, they just fire you and that is their power over all of us. Workers have no voice. Just look at all the companies that go overseas to exploit poor workers.

• 9 years ago

I don't see how that would apply to, say, the physical sciences. You can't really "think for yourself" when it comes to matters of chemistry or biology. Independence is great an all, but it won't do you any good when you're defining the attributes of molecular bonds.

The entire nature of science is built upon independence, thinking for yourself, and rebellion, simply because the boundaries of science are very well equipped for them. You can dream up the most elaborate and independent hypothesis you want to, but at the end of the day you still need empirical evidence, solid inductive reasoning, and good logic for it to be of any value. The entire Kuhnian philosophy of science is built upon the paradigm shifts that redefine how science works, an event that would be impossible without independent thought.

• Jimbo
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Sounds to me like its a big load of horse pucky and an attempt to sound profound and saying not a damned thing. Noam Chomsky is famous for that though.

• 50/50

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Biba
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

I don't agree with it, but I used to work for a major U.S. defense contractor and somewhere those words are engraved. That is precisely how we were treated. If you didn't go along, you were gone.

• 9 years ago

I think it's interesting how the far-left and far-right often sound identical.

• 9 years ago

To no extent. Perverted centralism is no way to live.

• angela
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

He ought to know; he's been a professor at MIT for decades.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.