Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

what exactly does "deflecting" in an argument mean?

• bfalls
    Favorite Answer

I can think of a couple of meanings, and there may be more.

One meaning is to defuse tension or avoid answering a question by trying to steer the conversation in a different direction. If you know people who can calm a heated argument with an inoffensive humorous comment, that's an example of deflection and a talent I wish I had. Or someone may try to change the subject, useful if it works but it sometimes backfires if they get caught at it.

Another form of deflection is to try to turn the anger or at least the heat away from themselves. They may do this by showing that they meant no harm or by blaming someone else. The blame game can end up making them look guilty or at least treacherous.

I've wasn't a debater in school but I understand that some types of deflection are considered formal debating techniques.

• herzog

Define Deflect

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot deflecting quot argument mean: https://shortly.im/THF9F

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/G20kR

I went to high school with a girl whose parents had an open marriage. They weren't monogamous, as others have said, but they did have rules about how much or how little the other relationships infringed on the marriage. Her m.o. was to find a couple, break them up, get the guy to give her a ring, then break up with him. How much that was influenced by the open marriage concept or what, I don't know. I do know she had quite a collection.

Not directly answering the question; ie trying to change the subject, telling only part, passing blame...etc