Can I be a Design Engineering Manager with a Bachelor of environmental design?

I have excellent leadership/managerial skills and I understand the bottom line. My background in environmental design is one year short of an M. Arch so it is basically pre-architecture I took such classes as physics, structures, building construction, Environmental controls which is mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and sustainable systems etc. [very applied sciency] So does my background qualify me for a job like this? if not what would i need to do to qualify?

Favorite Answer

I would seriously doubt it. Engineering teams and engineering projects are generally managed by other engineers, usually ones having many years of progressively responsible project management experience, as well as design engineering experience. These people often have advanced degrees, professional licensure, and tend to be fairly well known and established in their field. Somebody right out of college, even WITH an engineering degree, is no way going to be hired to do the sort of thing you describe. Even for an entry level job, you will be competing with people who have engineering degrees and (probably) engineering experience as well.

I don't mean to throw cold water on your dreams, but I do suggest you zero in a little more on a 'niche' that is a better fit to your specific training that will enable you to compete on a more level playing field.

Good luck in any case!

Source(s): ~retired EE & registered P.E. in Cali.