promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 10 years ago

6 Questions About Genetic Engineering?

I was watchin this movie Gattaca and i got these questions that im stuck on. Could anybody possibly help me out on this??? What is genetic engineering?

1.) How would you feel about having your child genetically engineered?

2.) Does having a “perfect” genetic profile make one person “better” than another or more suited for a job or profession?

3.) How much body material is needed to get your genetic code?

4.) What are the pros of genetic engineering?

5.) What are the cons of genetic engineering?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

1- I'm not a breeder, so the question is irrelevant.

2- Only if environmental conditions have favoured the activation of the relevant genes

3- Just a few living cells

4- increased disease resistance, better nutrient absorption, pest resistance, ability to tolerate wider variations in environmental conditions

5- Effect of engineered genes on wild populations through gene flow, potential uncertain influences on other genes in the organism which may have consequences when entering the food chain. Reliance upon industrial technologies to provide adequate food resources is also a bit of a problem.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Not exactly. Once a cell has differentiated- ie the genes to be an "elbow cell" have been turned on, turning them off and turning another set on will not change the type of cell- it will probably just kill it. However all over your body in bone marrow and other areas you have non-differentiated cells or "stem cells". These have not yet had any set of genes turned on, and so they can be forced to be a different type of cell with certain expression regulators. There are limitations to this as there are different levels of differentiation. For example a non differentiated egg "stem cell" can develop into practically any cell in your body, a bone marrow "stem cell" can develop into any blood cell, and bone cells like Osteocytes and Osteoblasts, but a basal membran "stem cell" in the skin can only develop into the various skin and hair cells.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.