promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in TravelIrelandDublin · 9 years ago

Trinity college dublin?

I've been doing some research and found that it is 5 years at Trinity to get my M.B. My medical bachelors, but I havent found out how long after and how much schooling is needed to get my M.D. Medical doctorate. Can someone please tell me? Trinity is one of my top schools. And it's different over there, schooling wise.

4 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    TCD is a university.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    In Ireland, the qualifying medical degree Bachelor of Medicine ( MB) is considered equivalent to the M.D. degree in the U.S. system. The Irish qualification MD is a postgraduate degree in medicine, which normally takes another year, followed by a year's internship in a hospital. This explains why US trained doctors normally have to complete further study here before they meet our standards and can register with the Irish Medical Council and work here.

    Medicine is therefore regarded as a 7 year course - 5 years to MB, another one to MD, and another one as intern, after which they can register with the Irish Medical Council as fully qualified doctors.


    You can be a qualified doctor in 6 years at Trinity, but your qualification will be MB. If you want it to be MD, you will still have to do the postgraduate course.

    Students of medicine at Trinity College will follow a five-year programme leading to the degrees of Bachelor in Medicine, Bachelor in Surgery and Bachelor in Obstetrics. Following graduation you are required to spend one year service as a resident house officer (intern) in an approved hospital(s) before becoming a fully registered medical practitioner.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    You need to look at the post graduate courses.

    I'm not sure what course you're doing exactly but if it's in medicine it should be here:

    If not then contact the school.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    Contact them directly they'd be in the best position to advise you

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.