Manual Transmission vs. Automatic Transmission (Canada)?

Im gonna get my drivers license sometime in 2011 (age of 16, allowed to get Ontario drivers license :D)... And I was wondering what would be better, (since I live in Southern Ontario... near the blue water bridge) A manual Transmission or Automatic Transmission...

I tried to research this on the internet, but they're not so good answers, so I would like opinions from drivers.

Oh and what are the pros and cons of Manual and automatic transmission..?

P.S; I'm also looking/researching on Hatchback Cars (Honda Fit, Chevolet Aveo, Ford Fiesta, etc)

thanks.

• Sheff
    Best Answer

I've been driving stick for over 5 years now and I can share my experience with you.

Pros -

1) Manual cars are cheaper to purchase then automatic, I've used the money I saved to buy a package

2) Repairing is cheaper on manual cars

3) They tend to save more gas then their automatic versions if driven properly

4) They offer more safety on bad road conditions such as snow or wet roads because you use the transmission to slow down

5) You can chose performance over fuel economy in a stick shift by when you choose shift

Cons -

1) The ride is jerky, especially if your a passenger it can feel terrible like hitting a wall during shifts, not as bad if your the driver. this is because you are constantly letting go off the gas. You can try this on older automatic car. Accelerate the car then let go of the gas, you will feel the jerking. It's even worse when you take it to higher RPM and shift gears. Also 1st gear in a manual is very jerky if you do not shift and let go of the gas, same can be said with 2nd gear on some cars.

2) You have to be very cautious, you dont have any bad habits or improper use of a stick shift or your going to be in and out of the repair shop. For example dont ride the clutch which is holding it in too long or slip the clutch which is letting go too fast, this can kill your clutch prematurely. Dont change gears too early or you will lug the engine causing it to use a lot more gas and is bad on the engine.

3) If your buying a used car you have no way of telling how bad or good the person who owned the car was a stick shift driver.

4) If your driving to save fuel at around 1,500-1,800 you may not have power when you put your foot down or time to change gears if you need to beat an orange light or overpass someone before a lane ends. Can be dangerous and annoying.

5) the fun of a stick shift begins past 3,000 RPM, for city driving you rarely go past that.

6) Some people say it's too much work driving a stick shift in traffic, but I never noticed that. When traffic is only moving a meter every 30 seconds its not like you have anything else more important to do so you can take your time. I've often found this to be an excuse automatic drivers use.

It's really a personal choice, I would try it before you consider it. Once you've been driving a stick shift for a year you start to forget that you are actually driving a stick shift at times because everything comes so naturally and you don't take a second to think about it.

Occasionally I do have those days where I am not in the mood to drive a stick shift and I regret purchasing a stick shift, but there are also days I have fun with it and waste a bit of fuel.

It is not for everyone is what I am going to say. Try it before you buy it, a lot of teenagers have this idea that you are going to be cool if you drive a stick shift and that it is more fun then an automatic but that is not the case 99% of the time. None of my friends who are in their 20s and no longer are teenagers own a stick shift but it was the talk in high school. I got a stick shift because I tried it in during my teen years and that's why I got one at the time, most people who get past the teen years without ever learning to drive stick never end up getting it.

Used Transmissions Canada

I love manuals. im driving for the last 13 years.

I used to live in sask. I would say, ever you get stuck in the snow, manual still gives you a power to move to and fro but automatic doesnt.

Mamual trans give you more control. Manuals usually are better on gas. Manuals stink for stop and go, slow-moving traffic. New driver? Go with auto but definitely learn to drive a manual.

If you know how to drive a manual get a manual!