I am trying to hook up a GE Digital Timer.?

I am trying to hook up a GE Digital Timer. I had a light switch in a wall socket alongside 2 other switches for different lights. The current switch had a red, black, and ground connected from the box. I also have a couple black wires tied together in the unit that seem to be unused. So I hooked up the red as the... show more I am trying to hook up a GE Digital Timer. I had a light switch in a wall socket alongside 2 other switches for different lights. The current switch had a red, black, and ground connected from the box. I also have a couple black wires tied together in the unit that seem to be unused. So I hooked up the red as the load to red on the timer, the black as the hot live wire to black, the ground to green, and the white to the two unused black wires in the back (thought this was neutral). The lights then blinked on and off and on and off and then stayed off, and none of the three lights would work. So I disconnected the white neutral wires and now the light comes on for a second and I hear another click and it turns off. Am I hooking the white neutral up to the wrong thing? Also, could the black and red wires be in the wrong place?
Update: This is a US installation. I see a big thick white bundle in the back, but it still did not work with the white to that bundle. I also get no response with the black live and red load wires attached, with the both the white and green to the ground. The only response comes with the black and red attached, and the... show more This is a US installation. I see a big thick white bundle in the back, but it still did not work with the white to that bundle. I also get no response with the black live and red load wires attached, with the both the white and green to the ground. The only response comes with the black and red attached, and the white tied into a bundle of two black wires that were capped in the back in front of the thick white bundle. For this setup, the lights flicker on and off.
1 answer 1