Jenna asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Stuck ! Rat or Ferret ?

i want a pet i have tow hamsters but shld i get two rats or two ferrets. my mom is a neat freak and so are my brothers. well one of them but which is more fun and nicer and cleaner and easier to take care of

Favorite Answer

A rat. I own two. People think they're dirty, but they're not! They're intelligent! My rats come to the sound of their names(took a few weeks to teach them to, but they do!) and they're cute and love to be handled. Rats are awesome, just make sure you play with them everyday and clean the cage every week or two(depending on how much your rat poos and stuff.)

Also, after a while, ferret food can get expensive, since they cant eat cat food(it doesnt have all the vitamins they need and slows down their metabolism = fat ferret; not healthy). Rats can eat mostly anything, but you can just buy a bag of animal planet mice and rat mix for under five dollars at Target or Petland. Thats what I do and just give my rats veggies(they love carrots) and sometimes little pieces of bread or even an unsalted peanut(every once in a blue moon) as a treat. Never give them meat though!

I have both rats and ferrets so I can give you an unbiased answer.

if your mom is a neat freak rats are a FAR better choice. Ferrets have, lets say, an interesting smell even when they are kept clean, they also poop a LOT and not all of them are fastidious at going in the litter tray. Rats are less smelly, cleaner, requiring much less cleaning and care but are also excellent fun and playful, friendly pets.

I love my ferrets but they are 10X the work and hassle that rats are, they are destructive, naughty little monsters lol. Both make wonderful pets but for your situation rats sound ideal!

What this really depends on is what kind of pet fits your personality. As far as ferrets and hedgehogs go, in my experience, ferrets are extremely high-energy and curious and require almost constant attention. They can also be a little on the expensive side. Hedgehogs, on the other hand, are very quiet and reserved pets--if not a little shy, even. I've found them to be much more suitable for the mellow or laid-back pet owner, but all of the ones I've known don't like being handled too much by too many people.

The person who said that you can "just look at rats" has no idea what they are talking about. Rats absolutely LOVE playing with their human! I'm a rat breeder in North Carolina but I've also owned two ferrets in the past. Ferrets do have a smell no matter how clean you keep their cage and with the situation you described I would suggest two ratties. :) Rats love to ride around on your shoulders, share safe snacks with you, learn to do tricks and are just so very much fun!

-Sarah

http://www.queencityrattery.webs.com/

~Winter~ Safe table leftovers like salad? for rats? NO! Rats choke on lettuce and can die if they eat it. I don't know where you got that idea from.

As for which pet to get, I'd suggest a rat before a ferret. Both are great but ferrets are a lot more work and smell a lot worse. Get some rats for now and perhaps once you get used to caring for them before taking on a heavier load, if you know what I mean.

Also, if you choose to get a rat, please get at least 2, they will get depressed having an empty cage, they thrive in pairs.

Source(s): Rat owner for 8 years, friends with ferrets

Ferrets are generally dirtier than rats. They have a natural musky odor that can turn into a stink if their cage is not properly cleaned every 1-2 days. As for rats, they are a little cleaner and clean themselves like a dog or cat would (constantly grooming themselves and each other and their cage bedding only needs to be changed every 3-4 days while the cage should be wiped down/disinfected every week or so. They are both sweet animals who love the attention of humans if you have them from kit-hood. Rats would probably be easier to take care of too because their diet consists of safe table leftovers (like salad, bread crumbs, and meat scraps) and a bit of special store bought food with needed vitamins and minerals. As for ferrets, they have more of a need to eat all special store bought food. Hope this helps!

If you have 2 hamsters, you can't have ferrets.

Ferrets are born to kill small rodents like mice, so there's a good chance that if your ferret is unsupervised, they can get to the hamsters and kill them.

Rats are actually very clean creatures and can be very affectionate and much, much easier to take care of than a ferret. I love ferrets to death, but I know they'll kill a hamster any chance they can get and they can be pretty messy, so I don't think it's the right pet for you.

Ive owned six ferrets they are much dirtier then rats and they need alot more attention and can die if they get depressed from lack of attention. Dont get ferrets unless you have the time to devote.

I think you should get the ferret because they are cuter than rats and you do not have to clean their cages as often as you think you do. The ferrets are more friendlier and holdable but if you got a rat the only thing you could do is just look at him/her. I've always wanted a ferret so if you have a choice you should definitely go with the ferret!!

I woiuld go with the Rats! They don't stink and are easier to take care of and are neater of the 2 animals.

Source(s): 4 rats and 3 ferrets