UK: Worried about Swine Flu...my wife is 26 weeks pregnant?

She appears to be healthy and the pregnancy is going to plan, however the news here in the UK is starting to freak me out a bit, with all this talk about Swine Flu. She had the flu jab on the 22nd December, do you know if she would have built up enough immunity by now not to get it if she came in to contact with someone who had it?

She works as a School teacher so there will be lots of bacteria’s when she goes back to school. I don’t want her to go back to school until after the birth, but I don’t think that would work as I will still be coming in to contact with people on a daily basis plus we cant really afford it…. Its not the answer, but what is??

We lost our daughter 2years ago, she was just 3 days old (Hypoxia) and have since had 4 miscarriages, so I may be a bit paranoid…I really don’t want anything to go wrong again….

Also I have mild Asthma, so I am in the "high risk" category, I will get the jab as soon as I can.

• Z
    Favorite Answer

The vaccine is already helping to protect her, and usually, the maximum amount of antibodies that person is going to develop will have developed within the first two weeks. But you are a likely source of infection for her, so you ALSO need to get vaccinated immediately.

You should also get a pertussis booster when you get the flu shot, and your wife should talk to her doctor about getting it now, versus getting it immediately after your baby's birth. Pertussis (whooping cough) isn't usually serious in adults and can be mistaken for a chest cold, but can be fatal in infants. Since your baby wont be fully immune from their own vaccines for months, it's important that you (and anyone who lives in your household) get vaccinated to protect your baby until then.

With all that said, given that she HAS received the flu vaccine (and has had all childhood vaccines as usual), there is no reason to believe that working in a school will pose undue risk to her or to your baby, and nor will you having a job. Catching colds from students is highly unlikely to harm her, or to harm the baby, and simple steps like handwashing and sending home students who are ill make a big difference in even the transmission of minor illnesses like colds, not just for her, but for her students too. There is no reason to believe that either of your jobs will be unsafe.

Yes, you're scared because you had to deal with the loss of a baby before, but this baby is not that baby. Right now, your wife is experiencing a healthy pregnancy and there is no reason to believe that will change.

Take sensible precautions, yes. But don't let fears stand in the way of your work or your enjoyment of life.

Considering your history, it is understandable that you worry about every little hazard.

However, she got the shot, so she shouldn't get the swine flu, or if she does, it should be very mild. Besides, I haven't heard that the swine flu affects pregnancy at all.

It sounds like you are doing the best you can to keep all 3 of you healthy. That's all anybody can do.

I do hope and pray this child remains healthy; I understand how hard this situation is for you.