Why do they say that ignorance is more expensive than knowledge?

People say that ignorance is more expensive than knowledge. Why? I just want an explanation of this saying.

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Because in the long run, ignorance will cost you a lot more than having knowledge from the start. If you don't know a lot of things, it will negatively impact your future and has costly effects, whereas having education will save you from those pitfalls.

The meaning is that ignorance will end up costing more than getting the knowledge costs.

Example: Say you're having a dinner party and you see an ad where a chef will teach you how to make this great dinner for only $50. You think " No way! I've got to buy all the groceries, etc. That's just too much"

you buy the groceries and cook the dinner but forget an important detail and every one of your guests gets sick with food poisoning. You end up paying $2500.00 in minor emergency fees and lose the friendship of half of your guests.

Wouldn't it have cost less, in the long run, to have that chef teach you the knowledge, than your ignorance ended up costing you?

Source(s): Life and experience

A lot of dumb mistakes that could be avoided has a monetary cost associated with it.

I didn't know the water was that deep. (Car floating in the distance)

I didn't know you had to add oil. (%800 to replace motor)

I didn't think going to school was worth it. (50 years old and still making minimum wage)

I didn't know smoking was bad. ( dying of lung cancer)

I didn't I was pregnant. I only had sex that one time.

Didn't use a condom because he said he had a vasectomy. (Now has HIV)

Just a few minor examples

Ignorance can cause you to try stupid, costly approaches to problems or situations that a bit of education/knowledge could easily and inexpensively solve. For example, I know nothing about cars. My 4WD shifter sheet recently went out. The first time, when I didn't know what that was like or how to fix it, I paid a guy to come and replace it for several hundred dollars. The next time it happened, I had the knowledge to go online, buy the part for $10 and download a free instruction guide to change it myself. The only thing I paid for was the part and the hand cleaner to get the grease off my hands.

Congratulations-You have won the Nigerian Lottery- just send me $250 to collect your prize money.

An ignorant person would celebrate their good luck.(and lose $250)

A knowledgeable person knows that it sounds to good to be true- because it is a scam!

Having knowledge can help prevent making expensive mistakes whether it be buying products, investing, or employment opportunities