My hot water heater works but when I try to drain it, nothing comes out. Can I do any repair for free?

After ten years, I finally had a few minutes to check my hot water heater. I read yesterday that there is a pressure relief valve. So, I shut off the cold water and lifted it and nothing came out. Then I went to drain the tank. I turned the knob to pilot and turned that little red lever 1/4 from maybe twelve... show more After ten years, I finally had a few minutes to check my hot water heater. I read yesterday that there is a pressure relief valve. So, I shut off the cold water and lifted it and nothing came out. Then I went to drain the tank. I turned the knob to pilot and turned that little red lever 1/4 from maybe twelve o'clock to 3 o'clock and nothing happened.

Due to the economy, two options are out, calling a plumber and replacing the hot water heater. Are there any other options besides leaving the heater alone and hoping for the best?
Update: I'm searching for answers and one reason it may not have drained is that I didn't turn on the hot water elsewhere. One site says the hot water must be turned on somewhere.

As far as the pressure valve, I keep my heater at 115 degrees so maybe that's why nothing comes out.
Update 2: The problem was that I was turning off the gas knob and not turning on the water knob, which was hidden beneath a hot water heater wrap that I purchased to save money. The gas line is a shared line between the hot water heater and the furnace and in the middle is a pipe that goes down to the drain, so since I... show more The problem was that I was turning off the gas knob and not turning on the water knob, which was hidden beneath a hot water heater wrap that I purchased to save money.

The gas line is a shared line between the hot water heater and the furnace and in the middle is a pipe that goes down to the drain, so since I don't know very much, I assumed that must be the right line. After trying to look under the wrapper for directions I came across a white threaded piece which easily turned on and water came out. So after ten years of not draining the water heater, it actually works.