NCAA Football and Excessive Celebration Calls?

Well anyone who watched the K-State Syracuse game you know that Adrian Hilburn got called for excessive celebration for saluting after scoring a touchdown. And anyone who watched the Ohio St. Michigan game you know that Ohio St. Got called for excessive celebration a few times for making the O with their gloves but not Every time they did it. When Alabama scores touchdowns they so they same thing but I haven't seen them get called for it. Based on the definition excessive celebration is a player doing something that brings attention to himself. If that's the case then shouldn't teams like Ohio St. get called for that everytime they make the O, same with Bama. I think that is a horrible rule in my opinion, I think they should let them make the O with their gloves, or salute to the crowd. I don't believe that is excessive celebration and the rule needs to be changed. What do you guys think.

Favorite Answer

In a way you are right,but take yesterday for instance.That KSU guy should have known better.I think a lot comes down to coaching or maybe the person.People can say what they want,but you don't see Cam Newton ever getting flagged for excessive celebration because he does what he is supposed to do and gives the ball to the ref.Tim Tebow ,Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh(now of Arizona Cardinals) all the same way.That is all they have to do is simply get the ball to the ref,then they can go to the sideline or better yet wait until the game is over(see Cam Newton again)and salute the fans all they want.Actually I agree with SNAPPA.It should be inforced more.Now there are times when a player should not have been flagged but is.Just yesterday was not one of them.I think he deserved the flag even though I was pulling for Kansas State.

well they first implemented this with deion prime time sanders her used to be taunting and dancing but it died down after him and jamal anderson retired then it came back to life in 2004-2007 and chad johnson and ricky manning was going abit out of control so they brought it to a complete hault by fining the crap out of people for doing stuff like sneaking cell phones in and hiding them like t.o did or throwing the ball into the crowd or even having on a superman under shirt like ricky manning but i do agree it made football fun to watch now its so basic

Yeah, I think either it needs concrete (yet not so freaking strict) implication or just do away with it. It is a bit subjective anyway, and rules that can decide the winner of something like a bowl game shouldn't be, they should be clear cut. Like said earlier, let the kids have some fun and show some emotion since they usually... aren't getting anything in return besides the experience itself.

In my opinion the whole NCAA organization needs to be looked at and the rules need to be rewritten. What has happened with the situation with Ohio State, the Sugar Bowl, and the NCAA tells me the NCAA has no more integrity than the schools, coaches and players they investigate. The NCAA needs to investigate themselves and give Reggie Bush back his trophy. As far as I am concerned the Judges just cheated their own rules. Schools like SMU and NC need to file lawsuits against them.

• Snappa

I think that it is a just rule and one that needs to be enforced more. I get tired of seeing this BS when some jive-a$$ed clown scores.

I was at the Pinstripe Bowl (K-State v. 'Cuse) and that call was unbelievable! Everyone around me was shocked that the call was made, and believe me... they were all Cuse fans. I have to say that i've seen worse celebrations on regular tackles. That call may have even lost K-State the bowl game.

i agree 100% bro, let the kids have fun, its not like there getting paid to play, well not most of' them lol