CHSbball asked in SportsBaseball · 9 years ago

Best baseball quotes?

What are some of your favorite baseball quotes?

Favorite Answer

"Why does everyone stand up and sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game when they're already there?"

~ Larry Anderson

"They give you a round bat and they throw you a round ball. And they tell you to hit it square."

~ Willie Stargell

"Since baseball time is measured only in outs, all you have to do is succeed utterly; keep hitting, keep the rally alive, and you have defeated time. You remain forever young."

~ Roger Angell

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."

~ Jackie Robinson

"There have been only two geniuses in the world, Willie Mays and Willie Shakespeare."

~ Tallulah Bankhead

"One of the beautiful things about baseball is that every once in a while you come into a situation where you want to, and where you have to, reach down and prove something."

~ Nolan Ryan

"No one can stop a home run. No one can understand what it really is, unless you have felt it in your own hands and body.... As the ball makes its high, long arc beyond the playing field, the diamond and the stands suddenly belong to one man. In that brief, brief time, you are free of all demands an complications."

~ Sadaharu Oh

"'m never satisfied. I can't stand satisifaction. To me, greatness comes from that quest for perfection."

~ Mike Schmidt

"The only way to prove you're a good sport is to lose."

~ Ernie Banks

"You start chasing a ball and your brain immediately commands your body to Run forward! Bend! Scoop up the ball! Peg it to first! Then your body says who me?"

~ Joe DiMaggio

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."

~ Jim Bouton

"I was never nervous when I had the ball, but when I let go I was scared to death."

~ Lefty Gomez

"I don't get upset over things I can't control, because if I can't control them there's no use getting upset. And I don't get upset over the things I can control, because if I can control them there's no use in getting upset."

~ Mickey Rivers

"There is no room in baseball for discrimination. It is our national pastime and a game for all."

~ Lou Gehrig

“I was told I would never make it because I'm too short. Well, I'm still too short. ... It doesn't matter what your height is, it's what's in your heart.” - Kirby Puckett

"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base." - Dave Barry

"Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer." - Ted Williams

"I'm convinced that every boy, in his heart, would rather steal second base than an automobile." - Tom Clark

"There are three things in my life which I really love: God, my family, and baseball. The only problem - once baseball season starts, I change the order around a bit." - Al Gallagher, 1971

"A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings." - Earl Wilson

These are my favorites. Hope it helps :)

Some people ask me what I do in the offseason, winter. Well I tell them I stare outside and wait for spring

A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.

Earl Wilson

“People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.” Rogers Hornsby

"It's a BEAUT-IFUL day for a ball game! Lets play two today!"

-Ernie Banks

"THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT! THE GIANTS WIN THE PENNANT!"

Russ Hodges quoted when Bobby Thomson hit the Shot Heard 'Round the World

• David

George Will: "Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona."

On the force of his center fielder Mickey Rivers' throws:

He couldn't bruise a baby's lips.

Manager Doug Rader, Texas Rangers.

We don't have rules here, if we do, we can't read them. - Johnny Damon

"I always thought the knuckleball was the easiest pitch to catch. Wait'll it stops rolling, then go to the backstop and pick it up." Bob Uecker

You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." - Jim Bouton

"I was in Little League. I was on first base-I stole third base. I ran straight across the diamond. Earlier in the week, I learned the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. I argue with the umpire that second base was out of my way."- Steve Wright

"It ain't over til it's over"

Yogi Berra.

"Just a bit outside"

bob uecker

"It could be, it might be, It is! A home run! Holy Cow"

"Cubs win! Cubs win holy cow! Holy cow!"

"Hello again, everybody. It's a bee-yooo-tiful day for baseball."

Hary Caray