Why did Jesus say 'My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me'?

Did he underestimate the power of reality? Did he realize what is true on the cross?

Thanks all, I'm putting it to a vote

Favorite Answer

Christ's anguish of soul was as immeasurable as His physical pain and torment.

The Savior wishes us to do this, for He Himself has made known the climax of His anguish in the cry: "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?"

This complaint is directed to God, but it is also addressed to us.

He wishes us to hearken to it, to take it to heart, to feel in our souls the torment of His soul, in order that we can be made participants of the fruits, the merits, the blessings of His Passion.

His lament is a message of love crying to us: For you have I borne all this; out of love for you!

It is a message of salvation, calling: Do not despair, trust in Me, even if you feel that God has forsaken you!

Thus the gruesome cry: "My God, My God, why hast Thou forsaken Me?" is in truth a saving and consoling gift for us, for which we must be very grateful.

For our soul too there is no greater torment than the sense of being forsaken by God.

It is not confined to great sinners and criminals, but also visits believing and God-fearing Christians; it may come upon a man as a punishment for sin, as a temptation of the devil, or as a visitation from God.

We know what we are to do in such distress.

We no longer lose hope, we no longer despair.

We raise our eyes to Him Who is crucified and flee to Him Who is also forsaken.

This too Thou hast borne for me; and therefore I shall bear it with and for Thee.

Our distress will then be blessed and sanctified in His.

its because the wait of sin was laid upon his shoulders and therefore as he had had a perfect relationship with god before the cross as no sin was in the way but now he had everything in the way, so it was the first time he was distant from his father or god (as he did still refer to the father as god even though he admitted being god)

therefore that cry is understandable

also it was Eloi Eloi lama sabachthani that he said not all the "hast" and "thou"s

While we cannot be sure of Jesus’ motives for saying this, his words may indicate that Jesus recognized that his God had taken His protection away so that His Son’s integrity could be fully tested. It is also possible that Jesus said this because he wanted to fulfill what Psalm 22:1 foretold regarding him. Matt. 27:46.

• Because at the time, he was going through what a normal person would go through so He could understand the pain and sacrifice He was making..so, He muttered it because it is what a human being would say in the situation. Even though He was God, he suffered as a man.

Source(s): Romans 3:10 Romans 3:23 Romans 5:12 Romans 6:23 John 3:15-17 Matthew 7:21-23 Romans 10:9-13 Revelations 20:11-15 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 Ephesians 3:8-9

Because jesus was a man and like all men we get scared, think about it if jesus was part of any trinity why would he be asking his self why? when he allready new the anser to the question.

he was quoting the first line of psalm 22 which is supposed to describe crucifixion.

No, what a doink

OUR or at least My sin was laid upon Him and the darkness of our sin seperated him, temporarily from the Father

He was quoting a verse from Psalms

• Y

Also, if he was God, why is he saying My God?

• WL378

Well since he is part of the trinity he was obviously schizophrenic.