Is Graphic Design the college degree I want?

Ok, so I'm a junior in high school right now, and I'm starting to think about what I want to do for college. So I tried doing a little bit of research to figure out what degree I want, and I came to the conclusion that I want to edit videos. Like make special effects and help create movies, I started getting into the special effects stuff ( I use Adobe After Effects ) and I like creating and editing things... so my question to you guys is, what degree is that exactly? would that be considered Graphic Design? If so, does it pay well? Please help me figure out the answer to this, I really want to find out what I'm going to be doing in the future. Thanks!

P.S Sorry I'm asking this again, but I really need some good answers.

• snafu
    Favorite Answer

Graphic design may come into it. But you're best bet is editing at film school.

Or buy something like Final Cut Pro for Mac, make a film and edit it on your

computer using After Effects

Have you've looked into FIDM/Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising in LA? Their digital media program is focused on the entertainment industry and since you're interested in movies, it may be a perfect fit for you! The program teaches students about how to create 3-D modeling and animation and how to create special effects among lots of other cool things. My friends graduated from FIDM and has seen some of their work and it's pretty impressive. The school also has a great career center to help students find internships while they're in school so they can put their skills to use and even find jobs after graduating. Check out FIDM's digital media program on their website and if you like it, talk to an adviser from the school. They're really nice and will answer any questions you have. Good luck!

No, I work in retail and I have 6 others that have degrees like yours who tell me that the market is dying due to Obamanomics. They all were let go or laid off, what's worse is that we even have game designers who bought into those garbage commercials you see on tv.