Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 10 years ago

Why is tanning thought of as normal and skin bleaching/lightning gets negative talk?

just want your opinion...

it seems stupid to me because both involve someone changing their natural skin color so why does bleaching seem to be worse?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Well tanning (which I used to do), come to find out causes cancer, melanoma to be specific (which my fiance passed away from in 1987), so even though I was a heavy tanner (for my professional Brazilian foclorico and samba dancing), it was very, very bad for my skin.

I have not studied, nor heard anything about bleaching. If you're speaking of all the gossip junk about Michael Jackson, that's just cruel, for anyone to be treated the way he was.

The bleaching thing or whatever they use, as I understand it, is for people who have the same condition Michael Jackson had - I had an old roommate with that who was from Peru, she would just put on tons of make up to make herself darker.

Any negative talk about anyone is just not nice (even though we all do it at times), but if we're more mindful about what we say, it won't happen as often and the world will be a better place. :-D

Source(s): Crickity 'ole 50 year old

because i think bleaching probably causes more harm plus you've seen the late mj. besides soo many people tan, don't forget you can get a natural tan from staying out in the sun, but you can't lighten your skin naturally, besides it's not everyday you see someone with bleached skin, but you'd always see people with tans and others with permanent ones like me (i'm black)

Source(s): me

If you dont want to go to the tanning bed try an accelerator when you lay out.. but dont stay out too much b/c if you have sensitive skin try gradually increasing the time you stay out in the sun.. like start at 20 min, then 25 and so on.. or you can try an airbrush tan or self tanner.. good luck :]

• ?

Tanning happens naturally - it is a natural result from exposure to UV light. There is nothing that happens normally in nature that causes skin to get more pale - you have to apply something to make it happen. Its really as simple as that.

Because of my culture, my mother whitens her skin.

I was surprised to see this question, but I agree.

I personally keep my skin fair, my skin can change a lot, it is currently winter and my skin is fairly light.

But I never use bleaching products.. there's dangerous chemeicals in there.

Source(s): If people can tan.. people can also whiten there skin. it's just personal choice
  • I personally don't think any of them are good. You were born with a certain skin color,just except it

tanning is natural skin bleaching is not

I don't see why people would want to make their skin lighter.Dark skin is gorgeous<3

You should read Laura Jefferson’s book "Skin Whitening At Home" ( I saw it's also available in electronic format +video: http://www.skinwhiteningathome.com ). After 8 weeks I managed to get my skin a few tones whiter and I also got rid of freckles.

The method she teaches in her book is natural, inexpensive, and is readily available in most homes. You could even find some ingredients in your own backyard. The most wonderful thing about the method she shares in her book is that it will help you whiten or lighten your skin pigmentations, freckles, age spots, acne marks, dark underarms, melasma, or your overall skin color easily and naturally without breaking your bank or producing dangerous side effects. Good Luck!

tanning is natural