Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

What exactly does hospice do for someone in a nursing home?

All good answers. Thanks everone.

Favorite Answer

Speaking as someone who has done nursing home, home health and assisted living care, the nursing home may not be the best type of Hospice care. At one time I worked on a Hospice unit which was very new. Compared to the Hospice agency that sent their nurses to homes and long term care facilities, I found that the in-house workers are not always trained to do all of the necessary Hospice duties. Look into the history of the home, and find out how much experience the caregivers have. It might be better to have the local Hospice make visits to the home, rather than rely on the Nursing Assistants who already have an overload of patients.

Hospice keeps a person as comfortable as possible. They check in on that person periodically to make sure they don't have rising problems such as bed sores, etc, that need to be treated. If they have a medical problem other than a 911 emergency, Hospice contacts the doctor and has them examined at "home", so they don't have to be moved back and forth to medical facilities. Hospice also works with family members to help them understand what is occurring, and makes any negative transitions more acceptable by explaining what is happening and how it affects their loved one.

Source(s): My Mom had Alzheimer's Disease for several years and spent her last 8 years in an Alzheimer's residence. She had Hospice for 4 years before she died.

Coincidence that you asked this question. I just had dealings with hospice (my aunt passed) who I was a caregiver for. The hospice was a godsend because they knew exactly what to say, what to do & when to do it. They are so compassionate, patient & kind. I was so impressed that I am applying for hospice training right now. They have a 4 week program & I can't wait to get involved. It is unbelievable the services that they provide. That said some people are so mean & ungrateful to them sometimes. To me & my family they are "Fantastic". Just about everything that all have posted here is right on the money. simply my opinion.

They make sure that they're being taken care of properly and that these ones are comfortable. They're there for the family as well and to let them know what the process would be as their loved one regresses. When Hospice came to my mother they told me this and they were right on target with everything they shared. They even told me that I was the person my mother was holding on to and that I would know when it was time to go back to work so that she could pass on. I knew and it was hard but, they were right. They were such a comfort and it was awesome to know what to expect each moment that would come. I would call it a preparation for the days ahead. We were prepared by Hospice.

It provides a comfortable and friendly last home before somebody dies. It's especially helpful if loved ones are unable to spend full time looking after the sick person. My grandad was in a hospice.

It provides loving care for peoples' last days-- or minutes on earth. My sister-in-law went into hospice at 4 PM on a Wednesday. My wife (her sister) help her eat her supper that evening. The next morning, Thursday, around 4:30 AM, my SIL died. The supper she ate the night before was her last meal.

My youngest daughter who graduates in April from Nursing School has chosen Hospice Care as her passion...because she wants to help the dying and their families to accept and transverse this transition in the best possible caring environment

They make sure that person has someone to talk to about dying. If they need it. Sometimes it's easier for strangers to talk about it then family.

They try to make sure the person is comfortable. They may need different meds.

They asses the situation and figure out ways to help.

When my dad died at home, my mom needed respite care. They came in so she could get out for a break. They could handle his meds and other medical things better then just a friend.

They help the patient and the family through the dying process and keep them comfortable .

Comfort them until they pass away.