Which is faster or better: SG or ABEC bearings?

I was wondering if SG bearings were better than ABEC bearings because I am going to buy inline skates for my son.

Best Answer

Bearing ratings have almost zero to do with quality and definitely does NOT indicate how fast they roll.

ABEC is a rating for vibration in high speed machinery. They are for speeds that would be over 200 mph on skates. The closer ttolerancesrequired for the higher ratings can cause more drag in he bearings (which doesn't matter when you have a motor running a machine but does when your legs are doing the work).

A lower rated bearing from a great company can be better in quality than a high rated bearing from a poor company but within a company, the rating will generally be higher is better.

The better bearing companies (Zero Drag, Bones, Twin Cam) have some custom designs that are better for inline skating but do not meet any of the ABEC standards and they use standard (aka made by the millions and less expensive) ABEC bearings for their lower levels.

After all that, don't bother with the ratings or the bearings in your decision on what skates to buy. The bearings are the least important factor and you don't get a choice until you replace them.

The quality of the wheels is much more important, is unrated, and you also don't get a choice until replacement time.

Most important is fit. They should be snug all around the foot without pinching, especially the toes. They need to act as part of the feet.

Type of skate for the type of skating is important.

Source(s): 15+ years of inline skating - much longer as an engineer
  • coover

Abec Bearing Ratings

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): faster sg abec bearings: https://tr.im/75PtN

So I've been longboarding for about 6 years and I'm an engineer so I'd like to put a little input on what ABEC is. T-Dog said ABEC is a brand, this is true they are a longboarding brand but their name is ABEC 11 the manufacture longboard wheels. But when it comes to ABEC when talking about bearings it is not a brand, ABEC is Annular Bearing Engineering Committee it is an acronym for an organization like the FDA. All ABEC ratings measure is the tolerance of the allowable units of space between the ball bearing and the inner and outer ring. For example if a bearing has a radial play of .0004 mm between the ball bearings and the outer ring and .0003 mm of radial play between the ball bearings and the inner ring, the bearing will be classified as ABEC 3. If you want to learn more about ratings for tolerances check out this link, at the bottom of the page there is a video which explains everything you need to know about ABEC ratings. If you want to know more about bearing or lonngboards/skateboads in general look around the site.

http://ratvision.com/index.php/info/bearings/78-re...

Like T Dog said, the SG is the bearing brand of the Rollerblade company. Thus the number is going to be the determining factor. The link below gives some good information on skate bearings (although it compares ABEC and Swiss). But you can take the information on ABEC and pretty much apply it to the SG. The rating 1-9 is going to be the primary indicator of how good it is.

• Diane

I've been using Black Panther Swiss bearings in a couple boards for a few years. They have been reliable and give good speed, enough to do grinds in the 9ft end of the pool. The ABEC rating has little to do with speed. It only relates to tolerances in manufacture and use in high speed equipment. It has nothing to do with the suitability of a bearing for skateboarding. This is why most high-end bearings are not ABEC rated, as they are designed specifically for skateboards.

The SG bearings are the Rollerblade skate brand bearings whereas ABEC is a brand of it's own. Sorta like Band-Aid. Bearings are rated 1 - 9, slowest to fastest. Meaning how freely the wheel spins. So the letters in front of the number may be different, but it's really the number that is most important.

SG Bearings: Rollerblade

ILQ Bearings: K2

ABEC

• keri

I think it depends

thank you for the answers, very much appreciated.