. asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Girl looking for some good books, please help me!?

Alright, so I'm pretty bad at picking out books, and it's been quite a while since I read something good. I'm on my winter break and planning a little trip to the library soon. If I can't find what I want there, there's always online shopping. So far, I have 'Havemercy' by Jaida Jones on my list of books to try out (it randomly caught my interest after I heard someone mention the title around me), but I wanted to see if anyone had some other recommendations for me.

Here are some books that I've enjoyed (not a complete list, but as I've said, it's been a while since I read something I've really enjoyed):

[in no particular order]

-The Glass Menagerie (I know it's a play, but I still read it and loved it)

-The Handmaid's Tale

-Slaughterhouse-Five

-The House of the Scorpion (and other books by Nancy Farmer, back when I was much younger, but they still had an impact on me)

-Fight Club (I'm aware of his other titles, too, but I haven't read all of them)

-Black Boy (I didn't like Native Son, though)

-Revolutionary Road

-One Child (and other books by Torey Hayden)

-A Child Called 'It'

-I Am Legend

-The Lost Boy

-The Bell Jar

-Atonement

-A Reliable Wife (I know that's not what most people would call a 'great' book, but it entertained me)

& I'm currently reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (I just started so I don't know if I'll like it, so far it doesn't really feel like my style)

I really don't want to read anything that's too 'high school outcast drama'-ish (like 'Speak'... no offense to people who liked that book). I already went through high school once and despised it, so I don't need to read about other girls doing the same, thank you.

As you might be able to tell from my list of books, I tend to like reading about people who are more 'messed up'/disturbed than I am.

No need to suggest Twilight, Harry Potter, Vampire Kisses, Artemis Fowl, House of Night, Vampire Academy, Gossip Girl, The Uglies, Mortal Instruments, Eragon, Tamora Pierce, Stephen King, etc.

I'm open to fantasy and vampire novels, but with enough twists and original characters to make them stand out. I have read some vampire books (Silver Kiss, Thirsty, Interview with the Vampire, Dracula, etc.) but I haven't read any vampire books that I'd call my 'favorite.'

I don't want to read anything with zombies or virus outbreaks in it.

I don't like books by Nicholas Sparks. Just no.

Oh, and I hate books where the characters (especially ones that are underage) only care about things like clubbing, having multiple sex partners, etc. and then complain about how much their miserable lives suck due to pregnancy/HIV scares and crap like that. Yes, there are books like that out there.

Although I'm a college student, I don't like reading books that ONLY revolve around 'typical college life' or whatever.

And no, I don't really want any high school English reading list classics (since I read plenty of them before and after they were assigned to me, like The Scarlet Letter, Catcher in the Rye, Fahrenheit 451, Things Fall Apart, The Grapes of Wrath, The Great Gatsby, Shakespearean plays, etc.)

I don't expect you to guess my whole reading list, but you can probably guess the types of books I mean, not that there's anything wrong with the classics but as I said, I've read quite a few of them already, so maybe you could suggest something by a more modern author or at least a book that's not totally super-mega-popular? :D

I know I sound VERY picky, but that's why I need your help. I don't want to waste my whole break watching TV when I know there must be some great books out there waiting for me to read them. I just want some suggestions based on my list of likes and dislikes. Something interesting that can make me escape my own thoughts for a little while and see what it's like to live in someone else's world.

Thank you in advance!

Favorite Answer

Maybe the 'Earth's Children' series by Jean M Auel? I really like them. It's a series about a young cro-magnan girl who gets separated from her family and gets 'adopted' by a clan of Neanderthals. The story is set in prehistoric times and is very realistic with a lot of action, adventure, spiritualism and in the later books there is a lot of romance too. Some of the content in these books aren't suitable for young readers though. I would say that these are probably my favourite ever books! The first one is called 'the clan of the cave bear', then 'the valley of horses', followed by 'the mammoth hunters', then 'the plains of passage' and 'the shelters of stone'. Book 6 is published next year and called 'the land of the painted caves' I think.

At the moment I've been reading a lot of fantasy - books I've liked are:

The Morganville Vampires - Rachel Caine

The Weather Warden Series - Also by Rachel Caine

- Any fantasy books by L.J Smith are good.

Classic books I like a lot:

Little Women (followed by 'Little Men' and 'Jo's Boys' - all by Louisa May Alcott).

Pride and Prejudice

The Railway Children

Black Beauty

The Chronicles of Faerie by O.R. Melling. There's 4 books in this. The Hunter's Moon, The Summer King, The Light-Bearer's Daughter and The Book of Dreams. I will definitely be reading these again.

Also, The Faire Folk Trilogy by Gillian Summers are really good. There's not much romance in these ones but are still really good. Definitely check out the ones by O.R. Melling. Good luck! :)

The Hunger Games ( a trilogy ) By Suzanne Collins

• Katie

You might like Percy Jackson (kids book, but it is really good!!)

The Gallagher Girls series (Ally Carter) It's about a 14 year old spy.

Sorry, all i can think of!

Time traveller's wife....nething by jodi picoult....the davinchi code...suzannes diary for nicholas....danielle steel (idk if her books are rly good but my 35yo mom likes them) hmm can't think of anything else right now hope this helps :)