Why does energy cost anything?

Currents of electricity can be obtained from river flows, ocean currents, solar panels, wind, and other sources that are always usable. Why is their limitation, and price?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

because some one had to produce those solar panels or wind mills or the electrical dam which costs money to do. This makes some choices of power generation more cost effective. Unfortunately not all cost effective methods are the best methods some would argue such as coal but maybe coal isn't that bad while its available... Nuclear is the most dense form of energy we have currently. We haven't quite developed fusion as an effective energy source yet.

The problem with solar is that after a while solar panels lose their effectiveness and stop making power like they used to. So they are rated in their effectiveness by how much you spend on them to how much power they produce in their life time. Depending on the cost of power they can make you money but how much depends on the cost of electricity.

Some how you can sell the power on the power company's electrical lines but you have to go through red tape to do it. They would have to measure the amount of power you feed out and pay you accordingly. You of course won't make quite as much as the power company that owns the power lines. And you have to know who to go through to do it.

I got a kick out of your pun Brenda. :D It was punny. ;o)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Harnessing, storing and delivering the electricity is where the cost comes in. Also, there needs to be a backup source of electricity as water flow, sunshine, and wind current are variable, not constant. Also, these forms of energy cannot be stored.

• 1 decade ago

I guess it would have to be for the same reason we can't go up to a farmers field and steal his watermelon, or his cattle just because it is there. Someone always needs a piece of the pie, fair or not. Solar panels cost a ton. I guess they charge us because we don't know how to obtain our own electricity.

• 1 decade ago

People have to build facilities to harness it and build a grid (haven't you driven past huge power stations), people make a living building and repairing these stuctures and facilities. I'll keep paying my electricity and natural gas bills. You go ahead and grab them for free, more power to you (pun intended!)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

"Currents of electricity can be obtained from..."

Well then, obtain away! It sounds easy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

if energy.... is in a form ........ you can measure and trade

then you can not only sell it and call it a comity

Source(s): history channel
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nEpovsfKY

Youtube thumbnail

&list=ULteKT8YmJTis&playnext=1

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.