anaid27 asked in TravelAsia PacificJapan · 9 years ago

Visiting Tokyo, Japan alone?

I am planning to stop by Tokyo Japan from on my way back from China to the US.

The only concern I have is that I will be travelling alone, I am a young woman (late 20s). I have friends in Japan, but since I am not sure if they will be with me all the time, there may be moments when I will have to tour the city on my own, is there a risk?

Please anyone who has had experience going there let me know your honest opinion.

Thank you.

Serious answers only!!

Best Answer

As long as you use common sense, you shouldn't have a problem. No place is 100% risk free.

For a city of it's size, Tokyo has a low crime rate.

• Quinn

Yes, it is safe. Capitol cities tend to have higher crime rates, but Tokyo is safer than even New York City by a long shot. Because of their Buddhist upbringing, violent crime is rare athough obviously they do occur. If you are a victim of crme, it is more likely to be property crimes such as theft (pickpockets most likely). I've seen women young and old walking alone at night throughout Tokyo.

You should always use common sense when traveling alone even in the safest place on earth. Since you are not familiar with Tokyo it is unlikely you are going to be strolling through back alley ways and taking shortcuts. Just walk along places that are well lit and where there are plenty of people Unlike NYC, when a Japanese sees a crime being committed they don't turn a blind eye so be where there are others.

Others have suggested a travelers' phrase book and this is a good idea. Many have maps for the more popular areas of the city for tourists and even a subway route map. Be sure to familiarize yourself with the most often used phrases and general layout of Tokyo before you go AND get a compass since the city is not layout exactly in a north-south grid pattern.

Be sure to keep your passport and travel documents in a secure place. They are prime targets for thieves. Under Japanese law, you are required to present them if requested by the police although this is very rarely done.

Other than that, relax and enjoy it.

Tokyo is a very safe city and you should have no problems if you use common sense. In the bigger cities like Tokyo a lot of people can speak basic English and you will see a lot of the signs in English so you should have no trouble getting around by yourself. I recommend picking up a copy of Lonely Planet Japan or Lonely Planet Tokyo as they both have some great tips and maybe a simple phrase book to help with the language.

Read about Tokyo here http://japan-australia.blogspot.com/2010/06/tokyo-...

• Prizm

I've been to Tokyo twice, and both times I have never felt safer in a big city. I have more fear travelling around my city in Australia at night than I do in Japan. You have nothing to worry about. It would always surprise me to see elderly people just walking on the streets at 11pm. It really is one of the safest big cities in the world.

And if you're travelling around by train in Tokyo, many times the front 2 or 3 cars are for women and children only, so that's one more addition to your safety.

EDIT: yes, the only problem you'll have is the language barrier, and the potential to get lost. Just make sure you have a map of the various trainlines. If you can find your way to a subway or train station, then you can always get back to your 'home' station where your hotel is. Also, if you get lost you can drop in at a hotel. Hotels almost always have someone on staff that can at least speak a little english.

Source(s): Been there.

Tokyo is the capital of Japan, and the place where over 13 million people live, making it one of the most populous cities in the world but also, a big city to visit, find out more with hotelbye . Most of the city was devastated by the Great Kanto Earthquake of 1923, and then again by the bombing in the WWII, however, Tokyo was able to achieve a remarkably rapid recovery both times. The main attraction of Tokyo is the Imperial Palace with its beautiful 17th-century parks surrounded by walls and moats. The palace is still in use by the Imperial family.

• KAR36

I went there alone last year and I was fine and I did not know any Japanese.

I did my research and had a Japanese-English map and when I got lost, I showed the map to the police who were all around the city in police boxes.

I am older but still a female and no one bothered me at all.

It is like any other city in that you want to be aware of your surroundings.

I don't recommend this but I even walked around in Tokyo after dark alone and I did just fine walking to and from the subway. I stayed near the Ebisu area and am less sure about some of the other sections.

I walked around Akihabara, Ebisu, Shibuya, and Tokyo station and Ueno Park alone during the day as well and met a friend in Shibuya at night and was fine.

I rode the subways and the Yamanote line as well. It is worth going there for sure!

I have been to Japan six times, and each time I went there by myself.

I find it amazing how much more English signs there are now(2010) than when I first went in 2002.

Also, all JR Railstaff now answer you in English, even when you ask a question in Japanese.

As long as you abide by their customs and traditions, and do not behave like an utter fool, you will have a fabulous trip. Be sure to pick up a free English map of the subway and train systems at the Tourist Office at Narita Airport.

Without them, travel is extremely complicated due to its size.

Tip: Have your Japanese friends(or someone at the Tourist Office) write the name and address of your hotel in Japanese. That way, if you get lost, you can show it to any taxi driver, who will take you directly there.

Source(s): Experience.
  • Gail

It is a fairly safe country. The thing I would think you have to worry about the most is offending people there. It would be a good idea to do some research on customs and etiquette before you go. Some examples: Spitting is very offensive. Passing food with chopsticks to someone else's chopsticks is offensive, as is leaving your chopsticks sticking up out of your food ( both have to do with burial customs). When you pay for something give the money and get your change with both hands. BE RESPECTFUL. Respect is HUGE in Japan. You shouldn't have any problem finding similar customs on the internet.

It's safe as safe, really... just follow the real common sense protocol such as looking both ways before crossing the road, not getting into strangers' cars and saying no to bad things, you'll have a rocking stop-over. Having the phrase book handy is of course a good idea if you don't speak any Japanese... I have also been warned that there will be trouble if police stop me and I am not carrying my ID, although I have never been stopped. You may also want to consider using the women only carriage on the metro, those rush hour trains can be crushed pretty full.

If you need a cellular phone, see if you can borrow one from a friend. In my experience, you can't just buy a Japanese sim card and put it in your US phone, it doesn't work that way. The vast majority of phones here are contract phones, and the pre-paid phones are murderously expensive. There are some you can borrow at Narita airport I have seen, but they also looked way expensive for what they were. Other people have suggested having your hotel's address written down in case you get lost. It is also a good idea to have at least your friend's phone numbers on you, if can get them to lend you a phone, so much the better.

By the way, a relative visited, and was advised that her iphone would work, but it wouldn't, for whatever reason. If you have an iphone, you can try it, but don't count on it.

Could I possibly get a few more thumbs down please? I don't think I have enough.

Source(s): Current resident, 3 years in the country.
  • movie

Tokyo is pretty safe. The only problem is Japanese seldom speak English. It's hard to find one who are willing to answer you with Englsih. My suggestion is to buy a English-Japanese book with you. then point the question with your finger to Japanese. They are friendly to help with JAPANESE..

I spent about 7 days in Tokyo. I love Tokyo disneyland parade and food.

It's easy to travel by subway in Tokyo.