Why do some video releases remove the original music?

I just just purchased Daria the Complete Season and the Beavis and Butthead Box Sets and I noticed that a majority of the music has been completely removed from these shows. How could they broadcast these shows on television with the music but then release them on DVD or Bluray and not include the music? Freaks and Geeks came out on DVD and it had all of the music it it whats the difference? When I see a movie in theatres and then buy the the film they don't remove the music so whats going on here?

Favorite Answer

unfortunately there are copyright issues for a lot of artists. They usually want astronomical amounts of money to have their songs used. that's one of the main reasons why the wonder years has had trouble getting cleared for DVD release. and the 90210 box set has overdubbing on a lot of songs. trust me your shows weren't the only ones ruined by this.