Jason asked in SportsCycling · 9 years ago

Fixie / Road bike frame size causing neck pain? (Awarding max points!)?

I recently got a fixed gear bike for Christmas, but after riding about 5 miles I started feeling pain in my neck. I called the store it was purchased from and they only carry 48cm and 52cm bikes. Mine is the 48cm and I am 5'9"

I can exchange the bike for the larger size but I fear 52cm is also too small. So my question is, are both of these sizes too small for me? If they are too small what size do I need? and last, what if any advantages do I have with the larger frame vs the smaller one?

Thanks I will give max points to the best answer

• I
    Favorite Answer

I'm 5'11" and ride a 56 cm road bike. Technically a 58 cm would be better. Your bike is way too small -- you would probably do better on the 56cm frame. If they're a good bike shop, or even just a decent one, they would order the correct size frame for you, and then allow you to exchange the smaller frame for the right one. Talk to them about ordering the right size. If they don't, return the bike and go to a shop that will get you the correct frame.

If you feel that you're stuck with the small frame, a long riser stem would be in order. Hopefully the bike shop can help you with the fitting for that, but keep in mind that a longer or taller stem would really change the handling of the bike.

Technically, a fixed gear bicycle isn't a road bike. It's a track bike for an indoor Velodrome track. Why & how this type of bike every became popular on the streets is beyond me. More on this later. If you're not sure on how tall you are, how can you possibly pick out the correct frame size? And I'm speculating this is an Internet sale too. There is no way to pick out the correct frame size over the Internet & be 100% sure. No two bicycle companies are the same. The stand-over height will change slightly one to the next. Top tube length may also change slightly one to the next. And top tube length can be very important. See link from Sheldon Brown on frame sizing. If you're thinking about an Internet sale...don't. Get the idea out of your head now & see a nearby bicycle shop instead. And fixed gear bicycles can be downright dangerous because you will pedal all the time. How can you come to a quick stop (if needed) and still pedal all the time? You can't. Basically, you're in high gear all the time compared to a road bike with gears. You can't start quickly & you can't stop quickly. You may struggle to get up a hill or ride into a strong headwind. Fixed gear bikes are great, on a Velodrome track for racing indoors, where there is no need to start or stop quickly. There is no need to climb a hill or ride into the wind. And most of all, there is no motorized traffic to contend with. I would strongly advise rethinking the whole idea behind a fixed gear bicycle.

48 cm is much too small, and depending on your body proportions and the frame geometry, there is a good chance that the 52 cm is also too small. You probably need a frame in the 54-55 cm range, but again, this depends on a few variables. If you have short legs and a long torso, you might need a smaller size, provided that the smaller size has a long enough top tube. If you have long legs, a larger size would be needed with a slightly shorter top tube. Find out if the store is able to do a fitting to make sure that you are properly positioned. Even if you have to pay extra, the money would be well spent

Agree w previous posters, I believe you should be riding a 54/55cms. Neck pain maybe a bad fitting sign or simply you are just no used to the aggressive position (true track geometry) fixed gear bikes tend to have.

Even for a regular road bike, it can takes months before you start feeling comfortable but isn't the same for everyone.

I know I won't get the points most likely. Just jumping in to say everyone is right. TOO SMALL of a frame for your height. See links below. Sizing chart I use states about a 54cm or 55cm frame size. See links from Sheldon Brown.

Quote, "Your ability to adopt a good posture on a given bicycle will depend on correct fitting/adjustment of the bicycle. See my article on Frame Sizing for more on this."

Jason

Here is a bike sizer site. Select road bike. and put in your height and inseam. And, yes a 52cm frame is much too small!

ttp://www.ebicycles.com/bicycle-tools/frame-sizer

Happy New Year.

Socccerref