Mike asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

Mexico or Peru to study Spanish?

I have been debating for quite some time whether or not to go to Mexico or Peru to study Spanish this summer. I haven't found any other countries because I haven't found anything as good cost wise. For Mexico, my options are Merida, Puerto Vallarta, and Guadalajara. Many have said Guadalajara, but the city just doesn't seem appealing. I'm leaning more towards Puerto Vallarta or Merida because I have never been to a real beach. Cusco, Peru is also an option. I think I would like Puerto, Merida or Cusco more because they just seem to have more attractions to enjoy. I really want to enjoy myself for the weeks I am there. I am worried that Merida, Puerto Vallarta and Cusco are going to be big tourist attractions though. Any suggestions or any other cost efficient programs would be amazing. I am open to other countries if the overall cost is less than $3000. I plan on doing 3-5 weeks. Please take in mind where I would learn more Spanish and just have an overall more enjoyable experience. Home-stay is the only option I have in mind too. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

I would suggest you Colombia and this is my reason.. The places you mentioned in Mexico are mostly tourist attractions where most people would speak to you in English and i don't think that would help you learn the language, in that case there is many other beach cities around there were English is not an option and they are as cheap or may be cheaper, and second Mexicans tend to speak a lot in slang that be only useful if you are a local so you would have to be able to tell the difference between Spanish and local slang words that tend to be easier to learn and use. Peru is in the same place as in Mexico you mentioned a tourist place and you be dealing with a lot of slang. Colombia has beautiful beaches low tourist rates and their slang is minimum and their vocabulary is very standard and polite, and use constantly both forms for second person which is important to tame as all Spanish speaking countries use one of the two and may be confusing. Am not colombian but is just so sexy the way they speak the language and the polite they sound even when they are very upset for something.

I can hook you up with a homestay in Guadalajara (google-map the suburb of Chapalita). US$100/wk and Rosy is a great cook and you can take more Spanish lessons at the school called IMAC. I love Pto Vallarta but you won't learn Spanish there...everyone speaks Engish. Don't know Mérida personally so you'd want to research that more.

Bogota, in Colombia is one of the cheapest cities in Latin America, and it's a capital, you have to choose capitals, cause they speak the best Spanish accents in the countries. Bogotá and Lima are very goo options in Cusco they speal HORRIBLE, never go there. Appealing cities well go to Bogotá, it is World Book Capital, and it's known as the South American Athens. The weather is nice, NOT HOT, luckily, and it's a very cultural city. =) I know it has a bad image because of the media, but IF YOU TAKE THE STUPID "RISK", you won't regret, I swear.

Source(s): I'm French-Colombian =) 7 years in Paris, 11 years in Colombia, and I'm back to Paris the nest year! YEAH!!!

Peru's third world and not nice to live. They also dno't speak proper Spanish and speak quickly. go to Mexico

Source(s): Peruvian

Go to Mexico. The Mexicans speak more slowly than any other Spanish speakers.

Spain :-D...but I would pick Mexico over Peru. Just my preference

Go To Colombia :D