Should I play Mass Effect 1 before I play Mass Effect 2?

I got Mass Effect 2 for free today but I've never played the first one. Does the story recap from the first game in Mass Effect 2? Or should I just buy Mass Effect 1?

Favorite Answer

i personally brought mass effect 1 before i played mass effect 2. you get an acheivement if playing on xbox 360 for having completed the first game. also the story follows on from the first. but thats my personal recomendation.

Everything you do in the first one has an effect on the second one... characters carry over decisions you made in the first one are carried into the second one, not to mention that it is a great game. you should definitely do it!

Source(s): played both games

Yes play the 1st one before you play 2nd because it would help you understand the story and you can get more achievements.

• Simba

It's a way better experience if you play the first one then carry your character over, so it's definitely worth it

Play the first one first!!!

if you want to know the full story line then yes.