Why do some southerners fly the confederate flag and say it represents southern pride?

I don't understand why some southerners have such affection for the confederate flag. It is the flag of a pretend country that semi-existed for maybe 4 years before its cities were burned to the ground and its occupants offered up a cowardly surrender while promising to stop with their pretend country nonsense.... show more I don't understand why some southerners have such affection for the confederate flag. It is the flag of a pretend country that semi-existed for maybe 4 years before its cities were burned to the ground and its occupants offered up a cowardly surrender while promising to stop with their pretend country nonsense. Can anyone explain to me why this embarrassing fiasco is a source of pride for southerners? Isn't there something else they can feel proud about that wasn't as much of a total failure?