Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Why do some southerners fly the confederate flag and say it represents southern pride?

I don't understand why some southerners have such affection for the confederate flag. It is the flag of a pretend country that semi-existed for maybe 4 years before its cities were burned to the ground and its occupants offered up a cowardly surrender while promising to stop with their pretend country nonsense. Can anyone explain to me why this embarrassing fiasco is a source of pride for southerners? Isn't there something else they can feel proud about that wasn't as much of a total failure?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

They are still trying to show that states rights are more important to them than federal law, and that they would rather live in the past than move into the future.

They are showing their state comes before their country.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's history, not hate. It is a painful part of Amerian history, but you obviously don't have a good grasp of southern culture.

All surrender is not cowardly. American troops unconditionally surrendered to the Japanese in the Phillipines in 1942.

If you think that the Civil War was nonsense and just an embarassing fiasco, you have misjudged the situation entirely. I would venture to say that if embarrassment is an issue, the behavior of the entire country after the war is a source of embarrasment. If you think that somehow the North embraced black Americans with open arms, you need go back to the books.

• ロキ
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Well if you look at the situation your country is in today, it almost directly parallels the years leading up to the War Between the States.

1. Panic of 1819 - Major recession in the US

2. Tariff of 1828 - Tax imposed on the Southern states that damaged their economy

3. Nullification Crisis of 1832 - South Carolina threatening to secede if tariffs are not lowered.

4. Panic of 1837 - Banks stop accepting paper money, favoring silver and gold as currency

5. Texas Annexation of 1845 - Texas is stolen from Mexico, along with it's 10 million dollar debt that the US has to pay

6. The Compromise of 1850 - In which Stephen Douglas tried to appease the Southern states not by lowering tariffs, but by promising them their runaway slaves, no matter what state they were in. It keeps the South quiet for a few years, but doesn't solve the problem.

7. The Border Wars of 1854 - The Federal government is allowing people to hack each other to death over personal differences. One of the main reasons why Texas secedes.

8. Panic of 1857 - Another recession

9. Lincoln runs for the 1860 Presidency - Most Southerners believed that if you were a hypocrite who had never gone to school and skated by on wit, you shouldn't be President, as you might f*ck up the country worse than it already was.

See how slavery was barely mentioned? That's because it wasn't much of an issue back then. The entire United States was a slave nation, NOT just the South. There were two kinds of slaves: African and Irish ones, both who were victims of circumstance. In fact, Lincoln was all for a "white nation." He wanted to ship all the slaves to Haiti, South America, or even back to Africa to get rid of racial impurity and use the Irish as slaves instead.

And for the record, Lee didn't surrender with an inch of cowardice. He had been fighting with far fewer men and supplies against a totalitarian force that formally issued a genocide against all people below the Mason-Dixon. Lee had been running on empty for five years and nearly won...until the CSA had reached its carrying capacity; the South could no longer afford the fight. There were no more men, no more weapons, no more food, supplies, or capable leaders. Therefore, Lee had no choice. He surrendered honorably, but later regretted it.

"If I had foreseen the use those people designed to make of their victory, there would have been no surrender at Appomattox Courthouse; no sir, not by me. Had I foreseen these results of subjugation,

I would have preferred to die at Appomattox with my brave men, my sword in my right hand." (Lee, talking about Reconstruction to Governor Fletcher S. Stockdale in 1870)

In all, the War Between the States isn't an "embarrasing fiasco." It's a source of pride. These men finally said that enough was enough and led the second revolution for independence, as the former government had strayed from the Founding Fathers' ideals and became a dictatorship. Those men gave everything they had for one ideal: liberty. Unfortunately, they lost, but the War is a testament to human mettle.

"If the North triumphs, it is not alone the destruction of our property, it is the prelude to anarchy, infidelity and the ultimate loss of free and responsible government on this continent. It is the triumph of commerce, banks and the factory." - Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson to J.E.B. Stuart. It appears as though Jackson was on to something.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

the South should be Proud they stood against a Tyrant who wanted to Save the Union

and the War had nothing to do with Slavery the Union did to the south what it tried to do to the canadians in 1812

it was called Empire Building

i say to the South Fly your Flag with Pride in defiance of the criminals that took your freedom and your country I have a Canadian flag and i am not canadian i also have a confederate flag and i am not american

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bill g
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

it was a sign of the times and ideology for a free country tat the unionists couldn't get their head round --- and how dare you or anyone else in a democracy --- question that --- youv'e got no pride --- coz you can't spell the word -- good luck -- and equally how can you brand them a failure --- i do believe sir --- you need to look in the mirror --- lol --- again good luck

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Because they agree with what the south stood for. And no, it wasn't a pretend country. It was a country the was taken over by the nation to the north. What you said was completely inaccurate.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Dear Lord, how many times do I post this link? http://sunsite.utk.edu/civil-war/reasons.html

Hey, Southerners especially, please read the actual "Declaration of Causes of Secession" from SC, MS, TX, etc. Then tell me any declared cause which is not slavery, or directly related to slavery. And just once, can any of you tell me any particular "States' Right" which the seceding states thought worth seceding for, besides slavery?

• john
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It was the battle flag of the Confederacy. Your statement is inaccurate.

• 9 years ago

It makes them feel better.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.