Why do so many liberals wish to ban the Confederate Flag?

I thought you guys supported free speech,even when it offends people.

@Kesha

But wouldn't flying old Stars and Stripes be racist as well,since it was displayed above areas that allowed slavery for almost a century?

Best Answer

I do support free speech. I don't make a big deal about the Stars & Bars here in California. In the South, though, it is a symbol of slavery and white supremacy, and black people are offended. And I think rightly so. We wouldn't allow people to fly a Nazi flag, would we?

The thing is, whenever I see someone with a Confederate flag on his car or (more often) motorcycle, I ask him what that flag means to him, what is the symbolism. I have never met anyone who flies the flag who can actually tell me what it means. He tells me what it means to -him-, which is one of two things. (1) I'm a REBEL. It's a Rebel flag. Yeeeee-haaaaaah and (2) It means I don't like n*****s.

For example, did you know the blue 'X' on the flag is a symbol of Presbyterianism? It's St. Andrew's cross, also a symbol of Scotland. Bet you didn't know that.

In fact I bet you could tell me the symbolism of the American flag. 13 stripes for 13 original colonies, 50 stars, one for each state, red for the blood of our fathers, white for the purity of their intentions, blue for loyalty, etc. etc. We all learn this in grade school.

But I've never met anyone who displays the Stars and Bars who can explain it. It's just about being 'in your face', being a rebel.

• Susan

The Confederate Flag has nothing to do with hate, nor was the Civil War fought solely over slavery. Some people just take pride in the fact that they are from the South. I've never ever heard of it being used as anything racist in the least bit around these parts. It represents Southern culture, and I'm proud the Mississippi flag has the Confederate flag embedded in it.

• ICH8TE

" 'The Confederate Flag Is The Symbol Of Racists!'

I was asked my opinion of the “dilemma” of South Carolina refusing to take down the Confederate flag flying over its state’s capital building. Many civil rights groups as well as a small number of politicians have been rightfully describing this flag as a symbol of slavery, racism and hatred and are calling for the flag to be removed. There seems to be some small Klan in South Carolina who haven’t grown up enough to have studied our nation’s history or, at least, the part where the Confederacy was utterly embarrassed and defeated and the slaves set free and the emblem of that sad episode.

I have seen the mind set of these buffoons detailed on their bumper stickers. One I honestly saw on a car with South Carolina plates a year or so ago showed three black men, hands tied behind their back, hanging from a tree. Beside this filthy picture were the words, “I have a dream, too!” "

http://www.anotherperspective.org/advoc344.html

http://pajoyner.blogspot.com/2007/05/confederate-f...

http://www.adl.org/hate_symbols/racist_confederate...

"Although the flag is seen by some Southerners simply as a symbol of Southern pride, it is often used by racists to represent white domination of African-Americans. The flag remains a subject of controversy because some Southern states still fly the flag from public buildings or incorporate it into their state flag’s design. The flag is also used by racists as an alternative to the American flag, which they consider to be an emblem of what they describe as the Jewish-controlled government."

Why must you people have two separate flags in the south when the red, white, and blue cloth is the standard recognized American flag?

Because the south lost the civil war and lost the right to that flag. When we accepted the south's cowardly surrender we did so with the understanding that the confederacy was over - that includes the flag they made up for their pretend country that lasted all of 4 years. The confederate flag shows a lack of respect for the American soldiers who fought for this nation and defeated the inept and treasonous southerners. Perhaps if we knew the ancestors of the confederates would fly the flag years later we would have burned down a few more southern cities to make the message more clear.

It is racist. You would be proud of slavery and poverty, just based off what the Confederate Flag meant to a majority of the white male Southerners during the Civil War.

Nobody wants to ban it. It shouldn't be flown over the capital that's all.

It'd be like hanging a Nazi flag and that's history too.

Why do so many Republicans feel the Islamic Center shouldn't be built?

• I don't care what flag you fly. Still, doesn't flying a confederate flag indicate you are not putting America first?

I don't

I like knowing as much about the people whom I dealing with as possible and anybody who displays a Confederate Flag tells me all sorts of things about them w/o saying a word

So by all means keep waving it.

• Keep the Confederate flag. Please do.

Like Jeff Foxworthy points out, stupid people ought to wear a sign.

I don't want to ban it.

I support self-identification by stupid people. Those who display that cowardly hillbilly treason rag might as well be wearing giant "Stupid" signs.

• matt4 years agoReport

That's not tolerant of you say ni--er boy. I'll fry your fu--ing skin off and leave your fu--ing ni--er head in frozen in my freezer.