Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 9 years ago

Vegetarian, low fat-carb-calorie lunch options for a picky 8 y.o?

My son's doctor recently put him on a mostly vegetarian, low fat, decreased bread/pasta, decreased calorie, high fiber diet with no prepared foods. I need some ideas on what to send him for lunch at school. I am a vegan but eat a lot of whole grains such as breads/pastas but the doc said my son should not. He is very picky. Anyone have some ideas of what I can send him? Dinners are easy and I am not concerned about them, just need lunch ideas.

I can send him fruits and veggies which he will eat, but what about the main dish and other snacks? (Used to have sandwiches but I know he won't eat Hummus and the doc does not want him having all that bread but he likes PB; he likes Smart Dogs fake hot dogs which I've been giving him at home, fake chicken nuggets; Hates beans; Prefers bland foods... IDK what is left after we take out the things the doc said...) He is picky because of his Sensory Processing Disorder and Autism. He has health issues (High triglycerides, cholesterol, and a fatty liver as well as being obese because of some meds he's on) which is why the doc is recommending this "Diet".

4 Answers

Relevance
  • C~
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A salad can be a good main course. Add some unsalted sunflower seeds, chopped carrots, cucumbers, maybe some fake chicken, and you've got a healthy vegetarian lunch. Since he can have grains sometimes, you could occasionally give him an open-face sandwich, which uses only one slice of bread. If he has a thermos, you could give him some low-sodium soup. He likes peanut butter, so you can give him celery sticks filled with peanut butter and raisins. For snacks, dried fruit, unsalted nuts, carrot sticks, applesauce, and low-fat yogurt are good options. You could also try gradually introducing new foods into his diet. Best of luck!

Source(s): I have Asperger's syndrome and sensory processing disorder
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

We had a child who had similar picky food choices. We eventually discovered a Vita-Mix blender that enabled us to emulsify vegetables and put this in rich sauces that my daughter enjoyed. We also blend white beans to make a rich creamy sauce without dairy. I eat a green smoothy every morning using leafy greens, most often kale. I learned to cook Gluten free and mostly eat whole grains instead of bread or pasta. I also enjoy leafy greens, colored vegetables, legumes, and some vegetables. I supplement my diet with flax seed meal, B12, and D3.

Every year, the US has hundreds of new food additives that are added without adequate testing. A small percentage of people learn that they cannot tolerate certain processed foods. Many never learn this and simply become sick and continue to eat processed foods. It's encouraging that your physician has identified this problem for you.

The whole plant based diet is recommended as an optimal diet by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. and is also recommended by the other distinguished nutrition and health researchers I list in the sources section.

Although I am not a member (and don't understand their beliefs), I did learn a great deal about lifestyle from Seventh Day Adventists. I did learn that legumes are an important part of most meals so that you don't feel hungry between meals. I would create some wholesome wraps and put legumes and some prepared sauces inside the wrap. If you can tolerate the evangelical messages, I'd also consider taking a course or two from the Seventh Day Adventists on cooking and health.

Source(s): Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, Jr. Dr. Dean Ornish Dr. John McDougall Dr. T. Colin Campbell Dr. Neal Barnard Dr. Joel Fuhrman
  • Maria
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?

• 9 years ago

if he likes what you serve for dinner, buy a thermos, and send him leftovers.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.