Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 9 years ago

Vegetarian, low fat-carb-calorie lunch options for a picky 8 y.o?

My son's doctor recently put him on a mostly vegetarian, low fat, decreased bread/pasta, decreased calorie, high fiber diet with no prepared foods. I need some ideas on what to send him for lunch at school. I am a vegan but eat a lot of whole grains such as breads/pastas but the doc said my son should not. He is very picky. Anyone have some ideas of what I can send him? Dinners are easy and I am not concerned about them, just need lunch ideas.

I can send him fruits and veggies which he will eat, but what about the main dish and other snacks? (Used to have sandwiches but I know he won't eat Hummus and the doc does not want him having all that bread but he likes PB; he likes Smart Dogs fake hot dogs which I've been giving him at home, fake chicken nuggets; Hates beans; Prefers bland foods... IDK what is left after we take out the things the doc said...)

Favorite Answer

What reason does the doctor give for restricting carbs? Are you supposed to restrict even whole, unprocessed, boiled grains? That is highly unusual. Or is it simply that he eats a whole lot of white bread and it's time to cut back a bit?

Until I read your additional details, I was going to suggest hummus! What doesn't he like about hummus? You can make your own dips, and send in with lots of veggies to dip! Baba ghanouj is also awesome - roasted eggplant dip. Dip your veggies in a dip made from veggies!

Ezekiel bread is delicious, high in fiber and protein. It does contain gluten, so if gluten is the problem, then choose differently. But it is less processed and healthier than other breads, and made from sprouted grains and legumes.

Many schools forbid peanut butter, but sunflower seed butter is delicious. It is good in ants on a log: fill celery with nut/seed butter. Top with a few raisins. (Or Craisins, for ladybugs on a log!)

Does your son eat eggs? I notice you said his diet was mostly vegetarian, though yours is vegan. If he eats eggs, boiled eggs are easy and kid-friendly. And they can make a salad easier to present. If he doesn't eat eggs, try different presentations of beans. Toss beans in salad dressing to make them more exciting.

Salads are always good - sneak in extra nutrition with some seeds or nuts, depending on what the school allows. Pack vinaigrette dressing on the side, so greens don't wilt.

Fake hot dogs are a "sometimes food" - highly processed and not very nutritious. Please get him to eat some real, unprocessed protein foods like lentils, chickpeas, beans, and seeds. Try homemade bean soups or lentil soup - he may like those better than other kinds of bean foods. Tempeh is also great for variety, but of course soy foods are not for every day!

Quinoa is a superfood and a pseudograin - a good supplement for protein and fiber. Not technically a grain, and higher in protein than most foods we eat as grains. And it's gluten free! And totally unprocessed, unlike pastas and breads. Just whole seeds, washed, then boiled in water. Or boil them in veg broth, or even in nut milk or a mix of nut milk with water (add cinnamon and top with fruit and pecans for breakfast!)

Good luck!

Becoming vegetarian is an hard choice, especially with kids hyped up on the carnivorous American diet. Gradually lowering kids off of meat and flour is better than quitting cold turkey (quite literally!).

Having meat every now and again isn't so bad. Now, the type of meat is what you want to look at. Fish is high in amino acids (protein building blocks), which is good for growing kids. Chicken and other poultry is good on occasion. Beef and the likes are ok every now and again.

Although, if you want to go total veghead, beans is a must. Sadly, beans can taste horribly bland. I suggest hiding them in foods. Black bean burgers with the likes and a tad bit of ranch dressing is one of my favorites. Chole (chickpea curry) served on rice is grea toot. Lentil soup is high in iron and fiber. Red lentil soup is one of my favorite soups, especially with a slice of rustic whole wheat bread and pesto!

Now what your kid will really like is hummus sandwiches. Just simply take a piece of whole wheat pita, cover in hummus, and add some dill and spinach. Fold it in half and you have a wonderful sandwich. I prefer Sabra hummus; it has a tangy taste to it, which kids seem to like.

Make Over 200 Juicy, Mouth-Watering Paleo Recipes You've NEVER Seen or Tasted Before?

First of all you need to have a talk with your son about this "pickiness." Tell him why it's important to eat healthy and listen to the doctor, and how this change in food will help him. If he's still gonna be picky then you're gonna have to use some tough love. When I was little I would not eat my veggies, but my mom was very tough on me and I soon learned to stop that brattiness.

Once the pickiness is taken care of, you will be able to give him salads, raw and sautee'd veggies, and fruits and fruit smoothies. For dinner, make baked sweet potatoes! Those are great, and collard greens and Kale. Oatmeal for breakfast is always good (I used to love oatmeal as a kid) as well as lots of beans and nuts and legumes for protein and calcium. Apple slices with Peanut butter is okay--even though it's considered "fatty" it's nutrient dense and thus worth it, and kids love peanut butter. Also try making him hummus sandwhiches--rye bread with hummus, tomato and cucumber slices is yummy, and rye bread is sliced so thinly that it will help you cut down on his bread intake.

Although, I don't understand the problem with bread. Carbs are pretty important, and good old fashioned pasta with tomato sauce is always easy to feed kids.

Source(s): vegan, I used to be a picky eater, I babysit kids

i think a child that young should be brought up to eat whatever he wants your depriving his body of certain foods and he needs all foods at such a young age milk is very important i have so many friends who break bones because of lack of calcium it's needed as you get older to

• Owlish

Is it just that your son is supposed to avoid wheat gluten? If so, you can still give him buckwheat noodles (soba), rice, and quinoa. All are fairly rich in fiber and protein.

The link below might give you some ideas about what to make. :)

bfast 730 calories total, evian liter, vitamineralgreen48.

cup kaia foods cocoa granola, 6oz siggis yogurt acai, 6oz pompassionfruit.

add 300cals, thomas english muffin original, tbsp earth balance soyfree, 2tsp vegemite yay.

Source(s): since kid still growing add organic fruitsnveggies when at home 4 dinner to make sure he actually eats them n doesnt like trade them 4 fruitrollups lunch n add 2 cups organic unsweetened applesauce haha goodlunchbox