Can the US block a citizen from another country from traveling again?

Ok, I am a South African student. Recently, a student claiming to be an American (which I doubt by his North African, possibly Nigerian accent) caused some trouble in a class. A friend of mine asked him if he could move one seat (there were empty seats next to him) because she wanted to sit next to her friend. He refused, calling her a "f#cking b#tch" and cursing with similar foul language to her mother. I could not simply sit there and listen to his outrageous reaction to her modest request, so I told him firmly that "you do not speak that way to a lady". He then threatened me with American Marshals (apparently "no match for our South African po-po") etc etc....

We reported the incident to the lecturer and the University's Protectional Services and there is a case (two other plaintiffs as well) that is ongoing.

ON CHRISTMAS DAY, we received a phonecall on our landline from a person claiming to be from the American dept. of Home Affairs threatening me that "i will never leave the borders of South Africa again" if I continue with the case at the University (which I am only a witness in). We (me and my family) didn't much care about this because it seemed outrageous - but I worried a bit about WHERE HE GOT OUR LANDLINE NUMBER, because the University would never give out such information to strangers.

Yesterday (Sunday) evening, he (or his friend/somebody) phoned again - this time threatening that he knows EXACTLY where we live (even stated the address). After this we became very scared and went to report it to the police.

If there are any American citizens out there who could reassure me that these threats are empty (or otherwise) I would be very glad. I would like to know what I can do to protect my family.

Favorite Answer

The guy is full of it. The US government cannot stop you from traveling. They do not have the authority to do so. The call didn`t come from the government, they don`t operate that way, besides which they have no pull in a foreign country. I would talk to the police about this harassment. File a complaint so there is something on record.

Next time they call, tell the person on the phone, you have contacted the police and will report this call as well. It`s easy to get a phone number, it just takes a bit of effort. These calls have gone beyond pranks and you really need to seek help from the police to ensure they do not escalate. Trust me, it`s not the US government.

• Robert

Some people are scary. Keep your cell on you. The threats are just his way to continue his mistreatment of others. He has obviously grown up as a bully and using threats to achieve his goals. Without a psych test you can never really know what he is capable of, but if you are abiding by the law in america they have no reason to refuse you entry in the future. However you need to wonder who this creep is connected to back home in south africa. If he is sick enough he will not let go of this. Be careful and do the right thing.

given that to my knowledge there isn't an US department of home affairs whoever called was full of it. Also I don't know what US Marshals would have to do with that, you aren't a fugitive... more as a threatened witness you would get their protection....

Anyway, while an US organization might regulate who enters the US they certainly can't prevent you from traveling anywhere else.

Report to police. Check if you can record calls to used as evidence in the future. Also report calls to your university and that you assume that they were made in connection with that case.

• Ruth S

This guy must have found out what your name was, in order to get your telephone number!!! What did the University do about this matter!!! This guy sounds like he has some loose screws, and the best thing to do with him, is to ignore him. As for the phone calls, IF he calls again, tell him very quietly, you have had a Police trap put on your line because of his threathening remarks! He must have gone to some lengths in order to get YOUR name and telephone number! IF the University DID give out that information, it can be sued! Believe me, they are not going to kick you out of the country for that!

You must go to the University officials and tell them you are being victimized by this student. You are a victim of racial harrassment, which I'm sure is against University policy. Race crimes don't always have to be White against black. Your case proves it.