Rent or buy condo townhouse?

What's best to do? If I rent, I'm throwing 20 grand down the drain a year. But landlord pays repairs. If I buy a condo, I have to pay almost the same amount in mortgage, maintenance fee, and property tax a year. They take care of the land BUT if there was a major repair needed to my condo roof I think I... show more What's best to do? If I rent, I'm throwing 20 grand down the drain a year. But landlord pays repairs.
If I buy a condo, I have to pay almost the same amount in mortgage, maintenance fee, and property tax a year. They take care of the land BUT if there was a major repair needed to my condo roof I think I have to pitch in (could be thousands). Should I buy me condo at once or pay over time? I have the money but was thinking I don't know if I'll be here forever and if I pay all at once I lose tie up almost one million and if I ever sell I got to find someone who can pay that. I don't want a house because its too much responsibility and I like a little more sense of community. I think I need a townhouse rental or townhouse condo ownership. They cost almost the same each year if I don't buy the condo at once but at the end I have a condo I can sell or I'm liable for if I can't. I guess I'll see what I fall in love with. I think I'll opt to rent so not stuck at first. You agree?