Where to write a novel/Book?

I wan to write a novel/Book but where and how do i write ?Should i write manually, or on a typewriter or on my computer?Can someone explain to me the ups and downs?

any answer will do please

Favorite Answer

Whatever works best for you is the right thing to do. If you are happier writing manually, then do it. If you prefer a typewriter, use it. If you like a computer, go for it. It's just a matter of choice. Your final draft has to be in print format - but there's no reason you can't do the preliminary drafts by hand.

• Sonia

Well, I wrote a novel a year and a half ago or so. Now I'm trying to gather ideas and start writing another one. It was a great experience. I'm an aspiring writer. I can't think of absolutely anything else I would like to do with my life, and it's terrible, because it's hard to make money off of creative writing. I guess I'll have to find something I'll do to make decent money while I write. :| I love writing because it gets the ideas out of my head. Most of my ideas are meh, but when I get The Idea, I need to get it down on paper. For a long time I just went along and had these people and their lives in my head. Now I know I can just go and write it all out :P My writing schedule for my first novel wasn't a schedule really. It just was the way it worked out. On Sunday, I'd start a chapter with maybe 500 words. Through the weekdays, I wrote the rest of the chapter. On Saturday, I could write a whole chapter. Then on Sunday, I'd start on another one. My chapters ended up averaging between 3,000 and 4,000 words. (I did have one really long one though at 6,000 words or a bit more.) I don't need anything but my laptop in my possession to write. Usually I need a calm environment around me, but it's okay if the TV's going or if there's music on the radio. However, I can't write when I myself and playing music from my laptop, because that's the best music, and that's all I can pay attention to ;) I've not accomplished too much. I'm fifteen years old. I've written a 60,000 word novel though, and I've written a 60 page 'short' story, and I've written countless short stories for class and for fun. Oh, and I'm a tad bit of a poet, so I've got a collection of 30 or 40 poems :P

• James

You should write in the way that makes it easiest for you.

I know professional writers who create their first drafts in pencil on lined paper. And I know others who use word processors. Typewriters ... it's hard to find the ribbons any more these days.

You should be aware that when you type you're using a different part of your brain than you use when you handwrite.

Experiment. See which way works best for you. There is no right or wrong answer, only what's right *for you*, and only you will know that.

It really is all up to you. What you like best, which one will save more time (either way, it's gonna take a while, so in my opinion that part doesn't really matter). Pro/Con lists usually help me so I'll make one for you...

Typing:

Pros:

Probably faster

Can use word processor

Easier access to research

Easier to edit

More professional when sending to editor or publisher

Cons:

You do use different parts of your brain when typing and writing, so you may not be as creative typing

If you can't type fast, it can get quite annoying

Typing tends to cramp my sholders (no matter how good posture I use while typing)

Computers are not a reliable storage place...could easily be lost at any moment

Easier to steal, take, ect

After staring at a computer too long, your eyes hurt

Unless you have a laptop, you can't write just anywhere, and even if you do, you can't find wifi for your online research, ect, everywhere...expecially outside

Handwritten:

Pros:

(In my opinion) You're more creative when you've got a pen or pencil in your hand

No back/sholder aches

Unless you shred it, your work is here to stay :)

You can write anywhere (ex. you're in the countryside and you get inspired...just get out your notebook and start writing)

Harder to copy (like steal)

You feel more accomplished when you finish a novel by hand (again, in my opinion)

Cons:

Harder to edit

You'll either have to retype it to send to edior/publisher or you'll have to send it by mail/fax

No word processor (which in my opinion isn't that much of a loss, but whatever)

Hand cramps

Takes a long time...(in my opinion it doesn't matter, but it's up to you...)

Somewhat harder to read (depending on your handwritting)

Typewritter:

Pros:

Old fashioned (if you like that sort of thing)

MIGHT make your brain juices flow a little better (never used one, so i don't really know haha)

probably a little faster than writing

unless you shred it, your work is here to stay :)

Cons:

Hard to find

bulky and stationary (you can't use it just anywhere, and it's kinda hard to tote around anyway...)

really hard to edit...

hand cramps...bad

loud and somewhat annoying

Hope I could help... but if this doesn't help you decide (and quite frankly even if it does) I'd try all three out for a day or two (at least the typing on a computer and then writing) and see which one you like better. Which one can you clear your mind and imagine better with? Which one makes you feel alive? Which one doesn't cause so much pain (as in hand cramps, shoulder aches, watery eyes, the whole shabang....) ? Which one do you just like better as a whole?

either way, Merry 2 day late (unless you live in the alakan or hawiian time zones...then it'd be merry one day late) Christmas and Happy New Years :)

• I personally would write on a computer. One of the importances of writing a great novel is the willingness to edit, revise and rewrite, and this is much easier if you have word processing software. This way, you won't have to waste so much paper, as you can read on the screen what you need to change before you print it. It will also look nicer for when you have to submit to publishers. But more importantly, it saves you all the time, stress and paper that you would be spending on if you wrote your novel on a typewriter.

PS: You can write faster if you're on a laptop, as I've personally found for myself.

Type It Up! Don't Write It Up! More Fun Typing! Writing Old School!

Well, when I write I use an AlphaSmart Neo. They rock. They are completely and totally amazing. They are portable, and faster than handwriting, and their battery lasts months. I have been writing on mine for about three months and the battery is at 99%. It's amazing.

i myself am a writer, and can tell you, the best way to write is the way which you like best. i find typing faster, easier, and more fun, as it allows me to do more in a shorter space of time, too. try each method, see which makes you feel good about writing, then get to work, all you have to do then is decide on your subject matter.....

The writing jobs aren’t complex, so any person who has decent creating capabilities will be able to excel so if you will like to give it a shoot at earning money easily and enjoyable you should attempt a internet site

write on your computer and be sure to save it in various places such as a draft in your email or a thumb drive so if something happens to your computer then you will not lose your work. Good luck.

Source(s): Me