What does everyone think of these two PC builds?

This is my first time building a PC, but I do have a decent amount of technical knowledge on how to do so. I was just wondering what everyone thought of these two builds and if you had any suggestions or pointers I am going to be building either of these two. I have no preference for ATI or Nvidia so either is fine for me I am just looking to stay around $680 to $750. Both my builds do use the same case, CD/DVD drive, power supply, processor, memory and hard drive. I am looking for maybe some suggestions on motherboards or memory.

1.) My first build is

-A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB DDR3 1600

-GIGABYTE Ultra Durable Radeon HD 6850 OC-1GD Video Card

-LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer

-Thermaltake V Series V6 BlackX Edition Case

-Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU

-Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Hard drive 7200rpm 64 cache

-AMD phenom ll X4 955

-GIGABYTE GA-880GA-UD3H ATX AMD Motherboard

2.)My second build

-A-DATA Gaming Series 4GB DDR3 1600

-EVGA GeForce GTX 460 SE (Fermi) 01G-P3-1366-TR Video Card

-LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer

-Antec EarthWatts 650W PSU

-AMD phenom ll X4 955

-ASUS M4N98TD EVO SLI ATX AMD Motherboard

Any suggestions or tips? Thanks in advance.

• Drkzin
    Favorite Answer

If I were to choose from both of these builds, I would choose the first build. Why you might ask? Well it's because the HD6850 is surely more powerful than the GTX460 SE and the HD6850 has a new re-engineered architecture which yields much higher tessellation performance. Also in general, the HD6850 is much faster than the GTX460 SE. Of course the GTX460 SE is based off the GF104 GPU which was completely designed from ground-up and is a very good GPU which is very power-efficient, cool, and performs well but the SE variant of the GTX460 is a lower-performing card of the GTX460 series but is bundled with a 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 memory. What they have simply done to the GTX460SE's card is that they simply disabled some parts of the GPU which makes it slower and added more memory to it.

**@JB's Answer** If you buy a dual core AMD CPU, there is a possibility that you are not able to unlock it to a Quad Core. AMD makes heaps of Quad Core CPUs and they basically put it through some tests and those that are lower quality or have some cores not functioning probably will have its performance lowered and/or it's cores disabled so they can sell it for cheaper and still at least make some money out of the lower quality chips. Sometimes the computer market demands more single-core, dual-core or tri-core CPUs, and AMD would then have to use its higher quality Quad-Cores which are perfectly working fine and disable many of the cores to sell them as lower end models. So it is a risk to buy a dual-core and unlock it to a quad-core as it might not be stable when unlocked to a quad core. Or you might get lucky and get it to work as a Quad-Core perfectly. But i wouldn't take a risk, I'd rather go with the Phenom II X4 955.

Anyway, the HD6850 would be faster and don't forget that its factory overclocked which would make it much more faster than the GTX460SE.

I've heard many people have a lot of problems with that Case as it was very poorly built and problems included: A fan that came with the case kept wobbling and hitting the fan power cable causing noise and damage to the cable. Also heard that the fan damaged the case.

I'm not sure about this for myself but that's what I've heard about the case. I have never used that case in one of my builds because of what bad things I've heard about it. If you want to buy another case, I'd probably recommend a CM690 II Advanced, Antec 900, Antec 902, or any Lian Li case. There are many other cases that I haven't listed that are very good as well.

If you require more information, please e-mail me.

Good builds. I hope you're getting a 4GB kit (2x 2GB) for dual channel memory performance rather than a single 4GB module.

I really can't recommend one over the other. Both Gigabyte and ASUS make excellent motherboards. The Radeon HD 6850 and GeForce GTX 460 turn in very similar gaming benchmarks.

If you're thinking about CrossFire/SLI in the future, I'd opt for the Radeon because it pulls less 12V current (1 6-pin power connector vs. the GeForce's 2) and two Radeons would definitely work with that 650W power supply. Two 460's might be close to the limit.

• JB

My only suggestion is that I would get an AMD Phenom II X2 555, (which can be unlocked to 4core(and at that point be exactly the same thing as the 955 except cheaper)

I only know of a few mobos that can't unlock it, but there are many reviews online so you can check if your mobos will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N8...

The reviews here can back up how easy it is to unlock XD

• ?

Nice construct. The "track" possibly a bit of at the massive part, however that is a private alternative factor. For forty-50 greenbacks extra, you'll improve to the 6850 which ample quicker. The PS is robust sufficient to manage your construct.

• ?

You can do a bit better with your budget. I would go with the first one so you can crossfire if i had to choose.

If you want MY parts list contact me

Source(s): 4 Year PC builder