Mental problems after a car crash?

What are some mental problems one can encounter after having been through a car crash, and having a loved one and a stranger lose their lives?

I mean, sure they're guilt and shock, but what bigger things can these lead to? (for example it can lead it depression)

Update:

could it lead to bipolar disease or manic depression?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • I P
    Lv 4
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

ultimately, it can lead to Post traumatic stress disorder, which would include secondary issues such as depression and other aviodant behavior which reinforce their phobias,, as well as possible medical conditions such as headaches from whiplash,, as well as changes in their personality if there was brain trauma... but that is not common unless bodily harm was a result of the crash. however, i would consult a medical doctor for that, as i am a psychologist.

PTSD can be complex and present itself immediately of within 6-months of the traumatizing event.

PTSD and clinical depression can be diagnosed simultaneously, only if both diagnosis are warranted. and not better account for by a sole diagnosis of PTSD,, because all anxiety does carry depressive fts with it,

just so you know manic depressive and bipolar are the same exact disorder,, just different terms

manic-depression is from DSM-III

and bipolar is from the updated DSM-IV.

your question is a good one,, to answer your question,, no. someone does not get bipolar from a car crash,, not at all.

however, this is where it gets technical, research shows that individuals how have been diagnosed with bipolar as an adult also reported being traumatized in their childhood, it is clinical association but does not cause bipolar. Bipolar will only express itself if the individual had a genetic vulnerability for it, rather than getting into a car crash.

i hope that dos not confuse you, but still the answer to your question is No, because Bipolar is a mood disorder which in theory is no way trigger by anything, one has to have a genetic vulnerability for it, Bipolar goes through what is called "cycles" and not triggered. but at the same time research does show conflicting findings but the data does seem to support the idea of genetic vulnerability for Bipolar,

there is another model called the, Diathesis-Stress Model, which would suggest that psychological disorder exist from a combination of a genetic vulnerability and an environmental stressor that triggers the symptoms to be expressed, where both factor would need to be present, as well as poor protective factor to buffer the ind. my answer is conflicting because the research is conflicting on this matter.

what is MORE important and what does tend to effect mood disorders is sleeping patterns, which could mimic something that looks like bipolar but it is just poor sleeping habits coupled with irritable moods...

monitoring a person's sleeping and eating habit is really important to regulate and track a person's mood "back to health," the more that person's sleeping and eating habits mimics what is typical for them, the better they are are adjusting.

any other questions,, let me know

• 9 years ago

Provided that you didn't experience any direct head trauma, the most serious mental condition that could occur is called Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In this condition you may experience anxiety, agitation, hypervigilance and may possibly even have flashbacks of the event months after the event occurred. Depression can also occur after the loss of loved ones. It is normal to feel depressed after the loss of a loved one. However, if your symptoms last for more than six months or become severe then you may have clinical depression. Either way, if you are in any emotional distress it would be prudent to go see a psychiatrist.

Source(s): Medical Student
  • Lee
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

PTSD is a common problem after a deadly car crash.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.