D
Lv 7
D asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Do you find that Dutch and German sound similar to English in a lot of ways?

I was flicking through the channels and stumbled upon Dutch news - surprisingly it sounded very similar to English, I thought German was similar (especially when guys talk in deep low voices in commercials) but Dutch seems more so.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

English and dutch are derived from german. Check the language roots.

• 9 years ago

Dutch, German and English are indeed related since they are all Germanic languages, but since English has absorbed such a great amount of French and Latin loanwords (making up about 60% of the English vocabulary) it's sometimes hard to see the similarities. Since the speakers of Old English probably originated in southern part of Jutland this original form of English was far closer to German and Dutch, but most of all Frisian, which is still the language closest related to English. The English language has been influenced by several other languages over the years, including Norman French (which was spoken in Normandy by Viking descendants who invaded England 1066) and Old Norse (spoken by Vikings who invaded England in the 9th century).

No, English and Dutch are not derived from German, but all three have a common ancestor.

• 9 years ago

We Dutch share the same mother language, Diets, but not the Roman part. The Dutch speak a form of German (Duits) without dialect, like the English do.

German tribes went to England and found the Kelt's there, they did not have much influence on the language though. The Romans did change that with their Latin. Vikings brought Scandinavian influences and later migrated to England from France also. Therefor English is easy to learn by both people with a German and a roman background.

• 9 years ago

English, Dutch and German are all Germanic languages that developed in their own way. There are many similar sounds; however, Dutch and German have more diphthongs that can be quite difficult for English speakers to pronounce, since there are no satisfactory comparisons. In contrast, English tends to have simpler sounds that are found more frequently in Dutch and German.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Well i as a german speaker do get about 1/3 of a conversation spoken in dutch.

So yes it´s pretty similar.

If i wouldn´t speak english too i could not say the same if i would listen to people who

are talking in english.

So no for english.

Both languages are related to german but english really doesn´t sound similar to german.

• J.S.
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

they have a similar backgrounds, so that makes sense.

to me they don´t sound that similar, though.

german and dutch maybe, english sounds more different than these.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.