Can you substitute liquid mustard for dry mustard in prime rib recipe ?

I am making a prime rib and want to know if it is ok to substitue liquid mustard in place of dry mustard ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • viv
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, definitely AND tuck slivers of garlic into the fat part and sprinkle the mustard coating with dried oregano, marjoram, thyme and salt and pepper, then put the roast on a bed of coarsely chopped onion, celery and carrots and this will make a great starter for your gravy once the meat is out and resting after it has roasted. MMMMM when is dinner!?

Source(s): chef
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

It shouldn't make much of a difference. Because you are baking it the extra liquid won't make a difference. I've substituted liquid mustard for dry mustard before and it has never affected the recipe.

• 9 years ago

that's fine, but keep in mind that they're are additives to wet mustard, including vinegar. Dry mustard is the ground powder made of the mustard flower seed. If you want to do that substitution, i suggest cutting back on any salt you might add, because the wet mustard has more than enough.

Happy Cooking! :)

• 9 years ago

if you are going to use a rub, then use powder mustard, if you want a marinade then use liquid mustard. If you do not have powder mustard and still you will use a rub, then go ahead and use the rub on the prime rib, cover it and refrigerate a couple of hours, then go ahead and put the liquid mustard,

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Liquid mustard, unlike dry mustard, probably contains vinegar. If you're ok with that, then you can make this substitution.

• 9 years ago

Mustard + Meat = Awesome!

Cover the roast in mustard and cook it up!! Delish!

Source(s): Done it before.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.