Can I use a wireless access point to connect wired devices to the internet THROUGH a wireless signal?

My wireless router is upstairs but I have devices w/o wireless cards downstairs which I would like to connect to the internet. I need a device which will connect these wired devices to the wireless signal- would a wireless access point be what I'm looking for?

Thanks!!

Have tried USB wireless adapters in the past and have had horrible luck with them. If you can recommend one which actually works, I'll check it out.

Best Answer

You need wireless cards. Like a USB wireless adapter for each wired device. You might have problems if the wired devices are running Win98. USB was still young when 98 came out. And you call them wired devices. If you are talking an old printer/scanner then it is more complex.

No. Each wireless connection has to connect to a specific router, so the traffic can be routed properly. You cannot have 2 IP addresses on the one wireless adapter (maybe in Linux with some hacks, but that's advanced stuff)

If the wireless access point has the capability of being configured as a wireless bridge, then yes, you can do this.

Check the specs of the wireless access point very closely before buying it to make sure that it has this capability.

You can get USB dongles with little airiels on them nowadays, don't even have to open the machines up!