Can I use a wireless access point to connect wired devices to the internet THROUGH a wireless signal?

My wireless router is upstairs but I have devices w/o wireless cards downstairs which I would like to connect to the internet. I need a device which will connect these wired devices to the wireless signal- would a wireless access point be what I'm looking for?

Thanks!!

Update:

Have tried USB wireless adapters in the past and have had horrible luck with them. If you can recommend one which actually works, I'll check it out.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You need wireless cards. Like a USB wireless adapter for each wired device. You might have problems if the wired devices are running Win98. USB was still young when 98 came out. And you call them wired devices. If you are talking an old printer/scanner then it is more complex.

• 3 years ago

No. Each wireless connection has to connect to a specific router, so the traffic can be routed properly. You cannot have 2 IP addresses on the one wireless adapter (maybe in Linux with some hacks, but that's advanced stuff)

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

If the wireless access point has the capability of being configured as a wireless bridge, then yes, you can do this.

Check the specs of the wireless access point very closely before buying it to make sure that it has this capability.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

You can get USB dongles with little airiels on them nowadays, don't even have to open the machines up!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.