Can someone please proofread the following?

The following is about 1/3 of my literary analysis of The Great Gatsby. i want to get a 100% on it so i would appreciate all the help i can get.

Today’s society is filled with corrupted individuals, from Rod Blagojevich to Barry Bonds. Each bestowing their corrupt behavior to modern society. Perhaps F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest work, The Great Gatsby is not only a great story, but an insight into the flaws of real life during the "Roaring Twenties". This was a time of extraordinary wealth and promise, but Fitzgerald's novel is much more than that; it is presenting the truth behind the twenties. Specifically, Fitzgerald highlights the aspects in The Great Gatsby that are contributing to the decay of society. Fitzgerald shows how society decays by epitomizing the symbol of the God-like eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg watching over the foul moral wasteland of Long Island. The eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg watch diligently over the desolate and grotesque Valley of Ashes where acts of corruption occur. Likewise, the Eyes see the gruesome murder of Myrtle Wilson and the pronounced rage of George Wilson.

When the early explorers first came to America, escaping the corruption of their old world in search of the promise of a new world, they traveled from east to west. Now, America itself is corrupted, so the characters in The Great Gatsby travel from west to east - in search of wealth and sophistication - leaving the moral values and stability of the west behind. It is this eastern part which is called the "Valley of Ashes" by Fitzgerald, a place where morals are left out and only superficial, material-driven people can live in peace. The deterioration of society is exemplified here, when Tom Buchannan states "' Civilization’s going to pieces '"(18). Tom subsequently mentions to George Wilson that the car he has apparently promised to sell will be ready "' Next week; I've got my man working on it now '" (25). Tom has no intentions to sell George Wilson a car, but instead is manipulating George so that he can have an opportunity to be with Myrtle, his love affair. The eye's of T.J. Eckleburg are being plagued with observing the affair and lies

1 Answer

Relevance
  • morgan
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Today’s society is filled with corrupt individuals, from Rod Blagojevich to Barry Bonds, each bestowing their corrupt behavior upon society. F. Scott Fitzgerald's greatest work, The Great Gatsby is not only a great story, but an insight into the flaws of society during the "Roaring Twenties".

This was a time of extraordinary wealth and promise, but Fitzgerald's novel shows much more than that: it is presenting the truth behind the twenties. Specifically, Fitzgerald highlights the aspects in The Great Gatsby that are contributing to the decay of society. Fitzgerald shows how society decays by epitomizing the symbol of the God-like eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg watching over the foul moral wasteland of Long Island. The eyes of Dr. T.J. Eckleburg watch diligently over the desolate and grotesque Valley of Ashes where acts of corruption occur. Likewise, the Eyes see the gruesome murder of Myrtle Wilson and the pronounced rage of George Wilson.

In this story, America itself is corrupted, so the characters in The Great Gatsby travel from west to east - in search of wealth and sophistication - leaving the moral values and stability of the west behind. It is this eastern part which is called the "Valley of Ashes" by Fitzgerald, a place where morals are left out and only superficial, material-driven people can live in peace. The deterioration of society is exemplified here, when Tom Buchanan states "' Civilization’s going to pieces '"(18). Tom subsequently mentions to George Wilson that the car he has apparently promised to sell will be ready "' Next week; I've got my man working on it now '" (25). Tom has no intentions to sell George Wilson a car, but instead is manipulating George so that he can have an opportunity to be with Myrtle, his love affair. The eye's of T.J. Eckleburg are being plagued with observing the affair and lies.

It is a nice start :) Most of the changes were little diction-and-grammar changes, but it could use a little structural work (aka it seems a little jumpy). The ideas are GREAT, though - I never saw that novel analyzed in this way. These ideas will take you far to getting a high score.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.