What do readers prefer to read... stories in third person or first?

Personally, I prefer to read stories in first person. I'm writing in first person at the moment, and was wondering what other readers thought.

Thanks to all who answer!

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

First person because you get into the book on a personal level, it makes you hate someone more or love someone more. If it is in third person, I find that there is TOO much describing and your brain has to work harder to try to picture EVERYTHING as you read along.

• 10 years ago

I like both but I find I enjoy first person much more. I get more involved in the story as a reader when its first person. That said I know many people that hate first person and will not read books written that way. So even though first person in my preference I would say more readers like third person.

Source(s): Avid Reader
  • 10 years ago

depends the best stories I've ever read were in third.

But it really depends on the authors skill if the book is good it doesn't make a large impact but it does make an impact.

First person is personal where as third is like you are actually telling the story as the author and your not becoming your own character.

• 10 years ago

Mostly third person subjective. That way, you get some intimacy, but are not constraint to the limits of first person. Also, a lot of first person books come off as gimmicky and/or tacky, in my opinion.

Occasionally, though, I'll read something in first person that really just blows me away. (The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss, for example.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

I like third person really.

A lot of the first person stories I read don't ever seem to make me care for some reason.

I especially hate when it's a girl in first person.

• 10 years ago

Its pretty subjective. Some like first person, some third. I personally prefer first person because it brings a certain immediacy to the story that third somehow lacks.

• 10 years ago

I like a decent mixture of both. A decent third person narrative, with the occasional aside from the main character to give a better feeling of depth that you can't get from a broad description of events.

• 10 years ago

definitely third person. i dont like books written in the first person. I like to feel Im a viewer looking in the story, at the different characters, not someone telling me the tale from their point of view.

• 10 years ago

I prefer 1st person.

Strangely I have recently read a book by a male author as a female character and a book by a woman author as a male character. Both books were really good and didn't have any clichés. It must be very difficult.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I prefer 1st person because you can picture it as if you are the main character. It makes the story much more interesting and believable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.